AP Test on Force Corrections (3 of them, but only one at a time)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of frictional force acting on a 2-kilogram block sliding down a 30 degree incline. The correct equation to use is mgsin30 - F_f = ma, which results in a frictional force of 5.8.
RustyComputer

Homework Statement

A 2-kilogram block slides down a 30 degree incline as shown above with an acceleration of 2 meters per second squared. The magnitude of the frictional force along the plane in most nearly:

Then some multiple choice answers.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So the first thing I did was draw a free body diagram, with all three forces present. Force of friction going opposite of the direction the box is going, normal force perpendicular from the surface, and mass times gravity going straight down.

Then I tilted the diagram 30 degrees, to make the force of friction and normal force straight vertical and horizontal and put mg at an angle of 30 degrees to the left from it's initial point.

After that, I made a right triangle to find the horizontal and vertical components of mg, and wrote mg as the hypotenuse, mg_x as the horizontal component, and mg_y as the horizontal component.

Then here are the equation stuff I did.

F_f - mg = ma
F_f = ma + mg_x
F_f = ma + mgsin30
F_f = m (a + gsin30)

Then I plugged everything in,

F_f = 2(2+9.8sin30)

And came up with the answer

F_f = 13.8

But the problem is that there are no answers close to my solution with the given. So what I would like to know for this problem is, where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
F_f = m (a + gsin30)
This expression is wrong. Downward force in mgsinθ. Frictional force acts in the upward direction. So the net force
mgsin30 - F_f = ma

So the correct way to go about that is:

mgsin30 - F_f = ma
F_f = - ma + mgsin30
F_f = m (- a + gsin30)

Then plugging in:

F_f = 2 (- 2 + 9.8sin30)
F_f = 5.8

And as it turns out, that is a multiple choice answer, and it is correct.

I'll have the next question up in a bit...

Related to AP Test on Force Corrections (3 of them, but only one at a time)

What is the AP Test on Force Corrections?

The AP Test on Force Corrections is an examination designed to assess a student's understanding of the concepts and principles related to forces and their corrections in physics. It is administered by the College Board and is typically taken by high school students who have completed a course in AP Physics.

What topics are covered on the AP Test on Force Corrections?

The AP Test on Force Corrections covers a range of topics, including Newton's laws of motion, force diagrams, friction, tension, and centripetal force. Students are also expected to demonstrate an understanding of how to apply the concepts of force corrections to real-world scenarios.

How is the AP Test on Force Corrections structured?

The AP Test on Force Corrections consists of two sections: multiple-choice questions and free-response questions. The multiple-choice section contains 50 questions and makes up 50% of the total score. The free-response section consists of 5 questions and makes up the remaining 50% of the score. The test is typically 90 minutes long and is administered in May each year.