APCP Autoignition: Pressure Deflagration Start

• Thread starter Praestrigiator
  • Start date
In summary, the pressure at which ammonium perchlorate composite propellant spontaneously begins deflagration can be calculated by using the equation (Pf-Pi)/Density, where Pf is the final pressure, Pi is the initial pressure, and Density is the density of the propellant. If Google does not provide enough information, it is recommended to ask at NASA or JPL for further assistance.
Praestrigiator
What is the pressure at which ammonium perchlorate composite propellant spontaneously begins deflagration?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If google doesn't help, try asking at NASA or JPL, they should know such things.

Borek said:
If google doesn't help, try asking at NASA or JPL, they should know such things.
Yeah, I tried googling it but to no avail. I know NASA and JPL will probably take a while to reply to any email or message. Too bad Fermilab is the only science place near me, I'm sure they'd be irritated by being asked questions irrelevant to their field.

actually, searching a little further, pressure is force per area, which is apparently equal to energy per volume. So the fact that I couldn't answer this before is because I didn't give enough information. Also the energy is (Pf-Pi)/Density. with this I should be able to calculate at least something helpful to me.

Related to APCP Autoignition: Pressure Deflagration Start

1. What is APCP Autoignition?

APCP (ammonium perchlorate composite propellant) autoignition is a process in which the propellant in a rocket motor is ignited by a spontaneous deflagration (rapid burning) caused by a sudden increase in pressure inside the motor.

2. How does pressure deflagration start?

Pressure deflagration starts when the pressure inside the rocket motor reaches a critical level, causing the propellant to rapidly heat up and ignite. This can be triggered by a variety of factors, such as high ambient temperatures, structural failure, or accidental impacts.

3. What are the risks associated with APCP autoignition?

The main risk associated with APCP autoignition is a loss of control of the rocket due to an unexpected and sudden increase in thrust. This can lead to a catastrophic failure of the rocket and potential harm to people and property in the vicinity.

4. How do scientists prevent APCP autoignition?

Scientists and engineers take several precautions to prevent APCP autoignition, such as carefully designing and testing the rocket motor to ensure it can withstand high pressures and temperatures. They also use thermal insulation and cooling systems to regulate the temperature inside the motor and prevent spontaneous ignition.

5. Can APCP autoignition be intentionally used in rocket propulsion?

Yes, APCP autoignition can be intentionally used in rocket propulsion. This technique is commonly used in solid rocket motors, where the propellant is designed to have a high autoignition temperature to ensure safe handling and storage. The sudden increase in pressure can also provide a more controlled and efficient ignition of the motor.