Apostol question about the differential equations of a falling object

zenterix
Homework Statement
Refer to example 2 of section 8.6. Use the chain rule to write

$$\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{ds}{dt}\frac{dv}{ds}=v\frac{dv}{ds}$$

and thus show that the differential equation in the example can be expressed as follows

$$\frac{ds}{dv}=\frac{bv}{c-v}$$

where ##b=m/k## and ##c=gm/k##. Integrate this equation to express ##s## in terms of ##v##. Check your result with the formulas for ##v## and ##s## derived in the example
Relevant Equations
The cited example 2 is a bit large to be shown here in all its steps.

Here are the main points and equations.

A body of mass ##m## is dropped from rest from a great height in the earth's atmosphere. Assume it falls in a straight line and that the only forces acting on it are the earth's gravitational attraction and a resisting force due to air resistance which is proportional to its velocity.

Newton's second law tells us

$$ma=mg-kv$$

where ##k## is some positive constant and ##-kv## is the force due to air resistance.

$$mv'=mg-kv$$

is a first-order equation in velocity ##v##.

We can write this in the form

$$v'+\frac{k}{m}v=g$$

which we can solve using an integrating factor to obtain (assuming v(0)=0)

$$v(t)=e^{-kt/m}\int_0^t ge^{ku/m}du=\frac{mg}{k}(1-e^{-kt/m})$$

we can differentiate to find acceleration

$$a(t)=ge^{-kt/m}$$

We can also integrate to obtain position

$$s(t)=\frac{mg}{k}t+\frac{gm^2}{k^2}e^{-kt/m}+C$$

and if ##s(0)=0## we have

$$s(t)=\frac{mg}{k}t+\frac{gm^2}{k^2}(e^{-kt/m}-1)$$
Here is my solution to this problem. Unfortunately, I can't check it because it is not contained in the solution manual.

$$\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{dv}{ds}\frac{ds}{dt}=v\frac{dv}{ds}$$

$$\frac{ds}{dv}=\frac{v}{v'}=\frac{v}{ge^{-kt/m}}$$

$$=\frac{\frac{m}{k}v}{\frac{gm}{k}e^{-kt/m}}$$

$$=\frac{\frac{m}{k}v}{\frac{gm}{k}-\frac{gm}{k}+\frac{gm}{k}e^{-kt/m}}$$

$$=\frac{\frac{m}{k}v}{\frac{gm}{k}-\frac{gm}{k}(e^{-kt/m}-1)}$$

$$=\frac{bv}{c-v}$$

My main question is about the integration of this expression to obtain ##s## in terms of ##v##.

$$\int_0^v \frac{ds}{dv}dv=\int_{s(0)}^{s(v)} ds = s(v)-s(0)=\int_0^v\frac{bv}{c-v}dv$$

$$=bc(\ln{(c)}-\ln{(c-v)})-bv$$

$$s(v)=s(0)+bc(\ln{(c)}-\ln{(c-v)})-bv$$

I don't recall seeing this relationship very often and so I am not sure if this is correct. The problem says to check this result with the equations derived in the cited Example 2. But that example derived equations for ##v## and ##s## relative to ##t##. How would I go about using those equations to check my result of ##s## as a function of ##v##?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the intention is to derive the ODE as [tex]
ma = mv\frac{dv}{ds} = mg - kv[/tex] so that [tex]
\frac{ds}{dv} = \frac{mv}{mg - kv} = \frac{(m/k)v}{(mg/k) - v} = \frac{bv}{c - v}.[/tex] Note that the solution to the earlier exercise can be written in the form [tex]\begin{split}
v(t) &= c(1 - e^{-b/t}) \\
s(t) - s_0 &= ct - bv(t).\end{split}[/tex] To show that [tex]
s(v) - s_0 = bc\ln|c| - bv - bc\ln|c - v| = ct - bv = s(t) - s_0[/tex] the easiest way is to solve [itex]v(t)[/itex] for [itex]t[/itex] to obtain [tex]\begin{split}
e^{-t/b} &= \frac{c - v}{c} \\
t &= b\ln|c| - b\ln|c - v|.\end{split}[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes zenterix
Attached are the full calculations leaving ##v_0## as a variable (just for added suffering with the algebra). Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out a way to post it directly here (file either too large or too low quality).

Attachments

• 8.7 - Physical Problems Leading to 1st Order LDE.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 55

Related to Apostol question about the differential equations of a falling object

What is Apostol's question about the differential equations of a falling object?

Apostol's question typically refers to understanding the differential equations that describe the motion of a falling object, taking into account forces such as gravity and air resistance. This involves setting up and solving equations that model the velocity and position of the object over time.

How do you derive the differential equation for a falling object with no air resistance?

For a falling object with no air resistance, the only force acting on it is gravity. Using Newton's second law, \( F = ma \), and knowing that the gravitational force is \( mg \), we get \( ma = mg \). This simplifies to \( a = g \), where \( a \) is the acceleration and \( g \) is the acceleration due to gravity. The differential equation is \( \frac{d^2y}{dt^2} = g \), where \( y \) is the position of the object.

How does air resistance affect the differential equation of a falling object?

Air resistance introduces an additional force that opposes the motion of the falling object. This force is often modeled as proportional to the velocity of the object, \( F_{drag} = -kv \), where \( k \) is a constant. The differential equation then becomes \( ma = mg - kv \), or \( m \frac{dv}{dt} = mg - kv \). This can be rewritten as \( \frac{dv}{dt} = g - \frac{k}{m}v \).

What is the solution to the differential equation with air resistance?

The differential equation \( \frac{dv}{dt} = g - \frac{k}{m}v \) is a first-order linear differential equation. Its solution is \( v(t) = \frac{mg}{k} (1 - e^{-\frac{k}{m}t}) \). This shows that the velocity approaches a terminal velocity \( v_t = \frac{mg}{k} \) as \( t \) increases.

How do you find the position of a falling object with air resistance?

To find the position \( y(t) \), integrate the velocity function \( v(t) = \frac{mg}{k} (1 - e^{-\frac{k}{m}t}) \). The integral of \( v(t) \) with respect to time gives \( y(t) = \frac{mg}{k}t + \frac{m^2g}{k^2}(e^{-\frac{k}{m}t} - 1) + C \), where \( C \) is the constant of integration determined by initial conditions.