Apparent magnitude of a light bulb

In summary, to find the apparent magnitude of a 100W light bulb at a distance of 3 m, we can use the equation m-M=5log(d/10) and compare it to the equation m=-2.5log(I/I0). By substituting m into the equation for m-M, we can eliminate the unknown constant I0 and solve for I, which is the intensity of the light bulb. We can then compare that to the intensity of the sun, which has a relative magnitude of -27, to find the apparent magnitude of the light bulb.
icedragon

Homework Statement

What is the apparent magnitude of a 100W light bulb at a distance of 3 m?

[Hint: Compare with the Sun to eliminate the unknown constant in the expression relating flux density to apparent magnitude.]

. The solar luminosity is [itex]L \approx 4 \times 10^{26} W[/itex].
. The Earth-Sun distance is approximately [itex]1.5 \times 10^8 km[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]m-M=5log \frac{d}{10}[/itex]
[itex]m=-2.5log \frac{l}{l_{0}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted to substitute m into the equation for m-M but I do not see how that helps me eliminate the unknown constant (which I assume is [itex]l_{0}[/itex]. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello icedragon,

Welcome to Physics Forums (PF)!
icedragon said:

Homework Statement

What is the apparent magnitude of a 100W light bulb at a distance of 3 m?

[Hint: Compare with the Sun to eliminate the unknown constant in the expression relating flux density to apparent magnitude.]

. The solar luminosity is [itex]L \approx 4 \times 10^{26} W[/itex].
. The Earth-Sun distance is approximately [itex]1.5 \times 10^8 km[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]m-M=5log \frac{d}{10}[/itex]
Where did that formula come from? What's d and where did the '10' come from?
[itex]m=-2.5log \frac{l}{l_{0}}[/itex]
(In your equation you are using [itex] l [/itex]'s as in 'lesson'. But they should be capitol [itex] I [/itex]'s as in 'Intensity'.)

That looks right if the relative magnitude of [itex] I_0 [/itex] is 0 (which is just fine for what we're doing in this problem).

The more general formula is

[tex] m_1 - m_0 = -2.5 \log \frac{I_1}{I_0} [/tex]
which you can then set [itex] m_0 = 0[/itex] if you want [itex] m_1 [/itex] to be relative to 0 magnitude. But you'll still need to solve for [itex] I_0 [/itex] if you wish to do that.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted to substitute m into the equation for m-M but I do not see how that helps me eliminate the unknown constant (which I assume is [itex]l_{0}[/itex]. Any help would be appreciated!

If it helps, the relative magnitude of the sun is -27 (relative to magnitude 0)*. Your first step is to use that and solve for [itex] I_0 [/itex].

*(See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnitude_%28astronomy%29)

Related to Apparent magnitude of a light bulb

1. What is the apparent magnitude of a light bulb?

The apparent magnitude of a light bulb is a measure of its brightness as seen by an observer on Earth. It is determined by the amount of light emitted by the light bulb and the distance between the observer and the light source.

2. How is the apparent magnitude of a light bulb measured?

The apparent magnitude of a light bulb is measured using a unit called a "magnitude scale". This scale is based on the brightness of stars, with lower numbers representing brighter objects and higher numbers representing dimmer objects. A light bulb's apparent magnitude is determined by comparing its brightness to a standard reference source.

3. Does the type of light bulb affect its apparent magnitude?

Yes, the type of light bulb can affect its apparent magnitude. For example, a LED light bulb may have a lower apparent magnitude compared to an incandescent light bulb, as it emits less light. However, the color and temperature of the light emitted by a light bulb can also affect its apparent magnitude.

4. Can the apparent magnitude of a light bulb change?

Yes, the apparent magnitude of a light bulb can change. This can occur if the light bulb is moved closer or further away from the observer, or if the brightness of the light bulb changes due to factors such as voltage fluctuations or the light bulb's age.

5. Is the apparent magnitude of a light bulb the same as its actual brightness?

No, the apparent magnitude of a light bulb is not the same as its actual brightness. The actual brightness of a light bulb is measured in units of watts, while the apparent magnitude is a relative measure of brightness as seen by an observer. The apparent magnitude takes into account factors such as distance and atmospheric conditions, which can affect the perceived brightness of a light bulb.