Elevator Acceleration Calculation

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving weight and acceleration in an elevator. The individual is trying to find the direction and magnitude of the elevator's acceleration, but is having difficulty getting the correct answer. There is confusion about using the correct units and conversion factors, as well as whether the acceleration should be negative or not. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use only one system of units and a reminder to calculate acceleration in m/s^2.
youxcrushxme
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

When you weigh yourself on good old terra firma (solid ground), your weight is 126 lb. In an elevator your apparent weight is 118 lb. What are the direction and magnitude of the elevator's acceleration?

I have Wa = W-ma = mg-ma
Wa=118lb
m=126lb
g=-9.8m/s

So I have 118 = (126)(-9.8) - (126)a and solved for a but I'm not getting the right answer. I wasn't sure if the 9.8 should be negative or not but I tried both and neither is working. Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Read the question carefully. lb is a unit of force.

Last edited:
So the numbers I'm plugging in for m aren't the right numbers? How do I find them?

Your weight is your mass times gravity. So if you want to find out your mass play around with Newton's second law.

So since 126 = mg and g=9.8 then the mass is 12.857. And I did the same thing with the apparent weight and got 12.04. So I have the equation 12.04 = 12.857(-9.8) - (12.857)a and I'm solving for a and getting 10.736 which is getting marked wrong.

youxcrushxme said:
So since 126 = mg and g=9.8 then the mass is 12.857. And I did the same thing with the apparent weight and got 12.04. So I have the equation 12.04 = 12.857(-9.8) - (12.857)a and I'm solving for a and getting 10.736 which is getting marked wrong.
You are mixing the units. Pound is a unit in the british system, while 9.8 m/s^2 is gravity acceleration in the International System. You should transform your pounds in Newtons, before calculating the mass.

So 1 Newton = 0.224808943 lbs...so I multiply the 118 lbs by 0.224808943 and I get 26.526 N and then using weight=mg get mass? Because when I do that I'm getting 2.706 for Wa and that seems waaay off.

You could also use g = 32ft/s and calculate mass in slugs, and then convert everything to the SI units in the final step.
So 1 Newton = 0.224808943 lbs...so I multiply the 118 lbs by 0.224808943 and I get 26.526 N and then using weight=mg get mass? Because when I do that I'm getting 2.706 for Wa and that seems waaay off.

1N = 0.224808943 lbs. So while coverting from lbs->N, you don't use the same conversion factor.

youxcrushxme said:
You should divide 118 by 0.224808943 to obtain the weight in Newtons.

So Wa=524.89N and W=560.476N. And using W=mg your apparent mass then is 53.56 and your actual mass is 57.19. Is that right?

youxcrushxme said:
So Wa=524.89N and W=560.476N. And using W=mg your apparent mass then is 53.56 and your actual mass is 57.19. Is that right?
There is no sense in apparent mass. The actual mass m is 57.19 kg. In the elevator the apparent weight is Wa = m(g-a), where a is the acceleration of the elevator.

Well the apparent weight is given but do I use that number in Newtons or lbs when I'm trying to find acceleratin

Whatever units you use, make sure you are using only one system. If you are asked to use a particular system, then use that.

youxcrushxme said:
Well the apparent weight is given but do I use that number in Newtons or lbs when I'm trying to find acceleratin
Since you already have the apparent weight in Newtons and the mass in kg, you can calculate a in m/s^2.

So 524.89 = (57.19)(-9.8) - (57.19)a? Or is the 9.8 not supposed to be negative?

FAQ: Elevator Acceleration Calculation

1. What is apparent weight?

Apparent weight is the perceived weight of an object when it is in motion or under acceleration. It is different from the actual weight of the object, which is determined by its mass and the force of gravity.

2. How does the apparent weight change in an elevator?

In an elevator, the apparent weight of an object changes depending on the direction and speed of the elevator's motion. When the elevator is accelerating upwards, the apparent weight will increase, and when it is accelerating downwards, the apparent weight will decrease.

3. Why does apparent weight change in an elevator?

The apparent weight changes in an elevator because of the normal force acting on the object. When the elevator is accelerating upwards, the normal force increases, making the apparent weight greater. When the elevator is accelerating downwards, the normal force decreases, making the apparent weight less.

4. What happens to the apparent weight when the elevator is at a constant speed?

When the elevator is moving at a constant speed, there is no acceleration, and the apparent weight is equal to the actual weight of the object. This is because the normal force and the force of gravity are balanced, resulting in a net force of zero.

5. How does the apparent weight change if the elevator is in free fall?

In free fall, the elevator and everything inside it is accelerating towards the ground at the same rate. This means that there is no normal force acting on the object, and the apparent weight becomes zero. The object is essentially weightless in this situation.