Apparent Weight and Geosynchronous Orbit

In summary, communications satellites are placed in a circular orbit where they stay directly over a fixed point on the equator as the Earth rotates. These are called geosynchronous orbits. The altitude of a geosynchronous orbit is 3.58 x 10^7m. The period of the motion is 24hr, and the value of g at this orbit is 0.223m/s/s. The apparent weight of a 2000kg satellite at this g is W = ma.
JeYo
Communications satellites are placed in a circular orbit where they stay directly over a fixed point on the equator as the Earth rotates. These are called geosynchronous orbits. The altitude of a geosynchronous orbit is 3.58 x 10^7m. What is the period of the motion? What is the value of g at this orbit? What is the apparent weight of a 2000kg satellite at this g?

Now, I found the period to be 24hr, and the value of g to be 0.223m/s/s. But I cannot seem to find a formula to correctly calculate the apparent weight of the satellite with this information.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have already tried these equations: W = mω^2r and W = ma, with a being 0.223 m/s/s

JeYo said:
Now, I found the period to be 24hr, and the value of g to be 0.223m/s/s. But I cannot seem to find a formula to correctly calculate the apparent weight of the satellite with this information.

Trick question! I also get your answer for the local gravitational acceleration of 0.224 m/(sec^2). However, keep in mind that the local "weight force", which is the magnitude of the gravitational force acting on the satellite, is what is supplying the centripetal force keeping it on its circular orbit.

Think about how weight is perceived. When you stand on a scale, what you read off is not your weight, but the "normal" force applied upward by the spring inside the scale supporting your weight. What you perceive as your weight when you are standing on a floor or the ground is the effect of the normal force from that surface pushing up against the soles of your feet; it's not actually your "weight" that you feel, but a force of equal magnitude.

If you jumped out of a high window (don't do it!), you would indeed have a weight force acting on you, accelerating you toward the Earth (while the Earth also immeasurably accelerates toward you), but what would you feel? By the same token, what normal force is pushing back on the satellite? If you were in that orbit (inside a spacesuit, presumably), what would you feel?

Related to Apparent Weight and Geosynchronous Orbit

1. What is apparent weight?

Apparent weight is the weight perceived by an object or person when they are in motion or experiencing acceleration. It is different from actual weight, which is the force of gravity acting on an object's mass.

2. How is apparent weight related to geosynchronous orbit?

In a geosynchronous orbit, the gravitational force acting on an object is balanced by the centrifugal force caused by the object's orbital motion. This results in the object experiencing a constant apparent weight, as if it were at rest on the surface of the Earth.

3. Can apparent weight change in a geosynchronous orbit?

No, apparent weight remains constant in a geosynchronous orbit as long as the object stays in that orbit. This is because the gravitational and centrifugal forces are balanced, resulting in a net force of zero and a constant apparent weight.

4. How is apparent weight different from actual weight in a geosynchronous orbit?

In a geosynchronous orbit, the apparent weight is different from the actual weight because the object is not experiencing the full force of gravity. Instead, it is being pulled towards the center of the Earth but also pulled away by the centrifugal force, resulting in a net force of zero.

5. Can an object have zero apparent weight in a geosynchronous orbit?

Yes, an object can have zero apparent weight in a geosynchronous orbit if it is at the exact point where the gravitational and centrifugal forces are balanced. This point is known as the geostationary point and is approximately 35,786 kilometers above the Earth's equator.