Application of Differentiation - Points of Inflection.

In summary: Its sign has changed.So let's look at the function:h(x)=x^3It has the root $x=0$ and it is of multiplicity 3, and we see that the function goes from negative to positive as it crosses this root. Its sign has changed. Then look at the function:j(x)=x^4It has the root $x=0$ and it is of multiplicity 4, and we see that the function goes from negative (on the left) to negative (on the right) as it crosses this root. Its sign has not changed.Now,
Nemo1
Hi Community,

I have this question.

View attachment 5067

When I graph it I get:

View attachment 5064

When I answer the first sets of questions

a,

Intercepts: \(\displaystyle x=(-6), x=0, x=6\)

Stationary points: \(\displaystyle (0,0) , (-3\sqrt{2}, -324) , (3\sqrt{2}, -324)\)

Points of inflection: \(\displaystyle x=0 \) This is where I was wrong. (It's a turning point isn't it?)

How do I work out the points of inflection?

I realized now there should be two at around \(\displaystyle (-3ish,-200ish)\) & \(\displaystyle (3ish,-200ish)\)
(Could be more, as I am still trying to learn where a point of inflection is and isn't)

b, State where the function \(\displaystyle x^4-36^2\) is:

Non negative: \(\displaystyle (-6,0) , (6,0) , (0,0)\)

Increasing: \(\displaystyle (-3 \sqrt{2}, -324)\) \(\displaystyle \to\) \(\displaystyle (0,0)\) then \(\displaystyle (3 \sqrt{2}, -324) \) \(\displaystyle \to\) \(\displaystyle (\infty,\infty)\)

Concave up: \(\displaystyle (-\infty,0]\) & \(\displaystyle [0,\infty)\)

Please review all of my answers and point out if there is a better way to express them more accurately.

Many thanks for your time in advance.

Cheers

Nemo.

(Not sure why the attached imaged are there, can't find where to delete them either sorry)

Attachments

• Graph of y equals x4-36x2.png
    Graph of y equals x4-36x2.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 7.02.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 7.02.14 PM.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 72
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Nemo!

I edited your post and deleted the duplicate images, leaving only the ones attached inline. :)

Okay...we are given the function:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=x^4-36x^2\)

This first thing I notice about this function is that it's even, that is $y(-x)=y(x)$, which means all behaviors will be "mirrored" across the $y$-axis, so we really need only concern ourselves with non-negative values of $x$, and the refelct across the $y$-axis when it is convenient to do so.

On to the questions...

Intercepts:

To find the $y$-intercept, we set $x=0$, and so it will be at $\left(0,y(0)\right)=(0,0)$.

To find the $x$-intercept(s), we set $y=0$ and solve for $x$:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=x^4-36x^2=x^2\left(x^2-6^2\right)=x^2(x+6)(x-6)=0\)

And so we see that the $x$-intercepts are (by equating each factor in turn to zero):

\(\displaystyle (-6,0),\,(0,0),\,(6,0)\)

Stationary points:

These are points where the first derivative is zero...so let's see:

\(\displaystyle y'(x)=4x^3-72x=4x\left(x^2-18\right)=4x(x+3\sqrt{2})(x-3\sqrt{2})=0\)

\(\displaystyle y(0)=0\)

\(\displaystyle y(3\sqrt{2})=18^2-36(18)=-18^2=-324\)

And so the stationary points are: \(\displaystyle (0,0),\,\left(\pm3\sqrt{2},-324\right)\)

Points of inflection:

These are where the second derivative is zero AND the concavity changes across these points, that is, the sign of the second derivative changes.

\(\displaystyle y''(x)=12x^2-72=12\left(x^2-6\right)=12(x+\sqrt{6})(x-\sqrt{6})=0\)

We see each root is of odd multiplicity (they occur once, and 1 is an odd number), and so we know the sign of $y''$ will alternate across each root, and so we find:

\(\displaystyle y\left(\pm\sqrt{6}\right)=6^2-6^3=6^2(1-6)=-180\)

And thus, the points of inflection are at:

\(\displaystyle \left(\pm\sqrt{6},-180\right)\)

Non-negative:

\(\displaystyle y(x)\ge0\)

\(\displaystyle x^4-36x^2\ge0\)

\(\displaystyle x^2(x+6)(x-6)\ge0\)

We observe that the root $x=0$ is of even multiplicity, and so the sign of $y$ will not change across this root. We see that the sign of the term with the largest exponent is positive, and this exponent is even, and so we know:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\pm\infty}=\infty\)

and so we may conclude that $y$ is non-negative on:

\(\displaystyle (-\infty,-6)\,\cup\,[0,0]\,\cup\,(6,\infty)\)

Increasing:

These are in intervals where the first derivative is positive:

\(\displaystyle y'(x)=4x^3-72x=4x\left(x^2-18\right)=4x(x+3\sqrt{2})(x-3\sqrt{2})>0\)

We see that:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\pm\infty}=\pm\infty\)

and that all roots of $y'$ are of odd multiplicity, and so we may conclude that in the 4 intervals made by the 3 roots, we will have decreasing/increasing/decreasing/increasing, so we know the function is increasin on the 2nd and 4th intervals, given by:

\(\displaystyle \left(-3\sqrt{2},0\right)\,\cup\,(3\sqrt{2},\infty)\)

Concave up:

These are the intervals where the second derivative is positive:

\(\displaystyle y''(x)=12x^2-72=12\left(x^2-6\right)=12(x+\sqrt{6})(x-\sqrt{6})>0\)

We see that $y''$ is a parabola opening upwards, and so we know that over the 3 intervals created by the 2 roots, the sign will alternate positive/negative/positive from left to right. And so we conclude that $y$ is concave up on:

\(\displaystyle (-\infty,-\sqrt{6})\,\cup\,(\sqrt{6},\infty)\)

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the detailed explanation,

I am unsure of how you went from:

\(\displaystyle y''(x)=12x^2-72=12\left(x^2-6\right)=12(x+\sqrt{6})(x-\sqrt{6})=0\)

to:

to:

Can you please break this down for me.

Also when you said:
MarkFL said:
We see each root is of odd multiplicity (they occur once, and 1 is an odd number), and so we know the sign of $y''$ will alternate across each root, and so we find:

Is this because the sign on the $y$ axis change from positive to negative when \(\displaystyle x=\pm6\)

Cheers Nemo

Nemo said:
I am unsure of how you went from:

to:

to:

Can you please break this down for me.

We see that the roots of $y''$ are $x=\pm\sqrt{6}$, and so these are the $x$-values at which the points of inflection will occur. So we need to evaluate $y$ at these values:

\(\displaystyle y(\pm\sqrt{6})=(\pm\sqrt{6})^4-36(\pm\sqrt{6})^2=6^2-6^2(6)=6^2-6^3=6^2(1-6)=36(-5)=-180\)

And so the two inflection points are $(-\sqrt{6},-180)$ and $(\sqrt{6},-180)$, which we may more concisely state as:

\(\displaystyle (\pm\sqrt{6},-180)\)

Nemo said:
Also when you said:

MarkFL said:

Is this because the sign on the $y$ axis change from positive to negative when \(\displaystyle x=\pm6\)

There, I was making use of the fact that when a function has a root of odd multiplicity, the function's graph will pass through the $x$-axis. When there is a root of even multiplicity, then the function will be tangent to the $x$-axis, and not pass through it.

If a function has only roots of odd multiplicity, then the sign of that function will alternate across all of its roots. Consider the simple case of:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=x\)

It has the root $x=0$ and it is of multiplicity 1, and we see that the function goes from negative to positive as it crosses this root. Its sign has changed. Then look at the function:

\(\displaystyle g(x)=x^2\)

It has the root $x=0$ and it is of multiplicity 2, and we see that the function goes from positive to positive as it crosses this root. Its sign has not changed.

This holds true for functions having multiple roots. Look at the graph of $y=(x-1)(x-2)$:

View attachment 5070

Observe how the function changes sign across both roots. Now look at the graph of $y=(x-1)(x-2)^2$

View attachment 5071

See how the function changes sign across the root of odd multiplicity ($x=1$), but does not change sign across the root of even multiplicity ($x=2$).

Making use of the parity (whether it is odd or even) of the multiplicity of roots allows you to easily find the sign of a function across all intervals once you establish the sign in just one interval. This way you do not need to tediously test a point in each interval.

Attachments

• plot1.png
    plot1.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 70
  • plot2.png
    plot2.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 72
Another way you can show that a candidate point of inflection actually is a point of inflection is to show that the point satisfies these criteria: $f''(a)=0$, AND $f'''(a)\not=0$ (or the lowest non-zero derivative above the second derivative has to be of odd order). This ensures that the concavity will actually change at $a$.

Thanks Mark and Ackbach,

I had myself in a tail spin till I took a break and came back to it and realized that in Mark's explanation of the point of inflection we are plugging the \(\displaystyle \pm\sqrt{6}\) back into the original equation \(\displaystyle y=x^4-36x^2\).

Many many thanks for everyones time in clarifying this for me.

Cheers Nemo

Related to Application of Differentiation - Points of Inflection.

1. What is a point of inflection?

A point of inflection is a point on a curve where the concavity changes from up to down or vice versa. It is also where the second derivative of the function equals zero.

2. How do you find the points of inflection?

To find the points of inflection, you must first take the second derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then solve for the values of x that make the second derivative equal to zero. These values will be the x-coordinates of the points of inflection.

3. How do points of inflection affect the shape of a curve?

Points of inflection indicate a change in the concavity of a curve. If the curve was previously concave up, it will become concave down after the point of inflection, and vice versa. This can result in a change in direction or curvature of the curve.

4. Are points of inflection always present on a curve?

No, points of inflection are not always present on a curve. They only occur when the concavity of the curve changes, which may not happen for all functions.

5. How are points of inflection used in real-life applications?

Points of inflection can be used to find the maximum and minimum points of a curve, which can be useful in optimization problems. They can also be used in economics to determine the point of equilibrium in supply and demand curves.