Application to Electric Circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a simple circuit with resistance $12 \varOmega$, inductance $4 H$, and voltage $40 V$. The individual solves for I(t) and I(0.1) using the equations $L \frac{dI}{dt}+RI=E(t)$ and $\frac{dI}{dt}+5I=20$. The final solutions are $I(t)=4(1-e^{-5t})$ and $I(0.1)= 4(1-e^{-1/2})$.
ineedhelpnow
I don't know under what forum to post this but since I am learning about it in calculus, i guess ill just put it here for now any maybe itll get moved to the right place. I'm given a simple circuit with resistance $12 \varOmega$ and the inductance is $4 H$ with a voltage of $40 V$. Find I(t) and I(0.1). Here's what I did:

$L=2$
$R=10$
$E(t)=40$

$L \frac{dI}{dt}+RI=E(t)$

$2 \frac{dI}{dt}+10I=40$

$\frac{dI}{dt}+5I=20$

$e^{\int \ 5 dt}=e^{5t}$

$e^{5t} \frac{dI}{dt}+5e^{5t}I=20e^{5t}$

$\frac{dI}{dt}(e^{5t}I)=20e^{5t}$

$e^{5t}I=\int \ 20e^{5t}dt=4e^{5t}+C$

$I(t)=4+Ce^{-5t}$

so to solve for C:

$I(0)=0$ so $4+C=0$ and $C=-4$

$I(t)=4(1-e^{-5t})$

solving for I(0.1):

$I(0.1)=4(1-e^{-5(0.1)})= 4(1-e^{-1/2})$

did i do it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
ineedhelpnow said:
I don't know under what forum to post this but since I am learning about it in calculus, i guess ill just put it here for now any maybe itll get moved to the right place. I'm given a simple circuit with resistance $12 \varOmega$ and the inductance is $4 H$ with a voltage of $40 V$. Find I(t) and I(0.1). Here's what I did:

$L=2$
$R=10$
$E(t)=40$

$L \frac{dI}{dt}+RI=E(t)$

$2 \frac{dI}{dt}+10I=40$

$\frac{dI}{dt}+5I=20$

$e^{\int \ 5 dt}=e^{5t}$

$e^{5t} \frac{dI}{dt}+5e^{5t}I=20e^{5t}$

$\frac{dI}{dt}(e^{5t}I)=20e^{5t}$

$e^{5t}I=\int \ 20e^{5t}dt=4e^{5t}+C$

$I(t)=4+Ce^{-5t}$

so to solve for C:

$I(0)=0$ so $4+C=0$ and $C=-4$

$I(t)=4(1-e^{-5t})$

solving for I(0.1):

$I(0.1)=4(1-e^{-5(0.1)})= 4(1-e^{-1/2})$

did i do it right?

Assuming that you mixed up 2 problems and that for the actual problem at hand you have $L=2\text{ H}$, $R=10\ \mathrm{\Omega}$, and $V=40 \text{ V}$, yep, you did it right!

haha very funny. (Tongueout) believe it or not, that is the ORIGINAL problem this time :D

Related to Application to Electric Circuits

1. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a closed loop through which an electric current can flow. It consists of a source of electrical energy, such as a battery or power supply, conductors to carry the current, and load or devices that utilize the electrical energy.

2. What are the basic components of an electric circuit?

The basic components of an electric circuit include a power source (such as a battery or generator), conductors (such as wires), resistance elements (such as light bulbs or resistors), and switches (to control the flow of current).

3. How does electricity flow in a circuit?

Electricity flows in a circuit from the positive terminal of the power source, through the conductors and load, and back to the negative terminal of the power source. This flow of electricity is called current and is measured in amperes (A).

4. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected end-to-end, creating a single pathway for the current to flow through. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected across each other, creating multiple pathways for the current to flow through. This leads to different behaviors in terms of voltage and current in each type of circuit.

5. How do you calculate the voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit?

According to Ohm's Law, voltage (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R). This can be represented by the equation V = IR. Therefore, if you know the values of two of these variables, you can calculate the third. Additionally, the total resistance in a series circuit is equal to the sum of the individual resistances, while the total resistance in a parallel circuit is inversely proportional to the sum of the individual resistances.