Applications of electromagnetic radiation

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a book on the applications of electromagnetic radiation, specifically radio antennas, X-rays, microwave ovens, and synchrotron light sources. The book should include equations and be suitable for a 2nd year physics student at a UK university. The conversation also explores the vast number of applications of electromagnetic radiation and requests for specific book recommendations.
GeekAlex
I’m searching for a book about the applications of electromagnetic radiation. A more specific topic I’m interested in is radio antennas but I’m searching for a book concerning more than 3 different applications (eg X-rays, microwave ovens and radio antennas). It should include equations and the difficulty should be appropriate for a 2nd year physics student (at a UK university). I’d be happy with any appropriate suggestion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, ZapperZ.
Could you please post a link about any specific application of synchrotron light sources?
Also could you suggest any book about this and other applications of electromagnetic radiation?

I wonder if you can think of any useful device that doesn't use electromagnetic radiation in some form. The number of applications of electromagnetic radiation are enormous.

phyzguy said:
I wonder if you can think of any useful device that doesn't use electromagnetic radiation in some form. The number of applications of electromagnetic radiation are enormous.
I agree with that but could you please propose any specific book about any application?

Related to Applications of electromagnetic radiation

1. What is electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation is a form of energy that is emitted and absorbed by charged particles, such as electrons. It travels through space in the form of waves, and includes a wide range of frequencies, from radio waves to gamma rays.

2. How is electromagnetic radiation used in technology?

Electromagnetic radiation has a variety of applications in technology, such as in communication systems (e.g. radio, TV, and cell phones), medical imaging (e.g. X-rays and MRI), and energy production (e.g. solar panels). It is also used in everyday devices like microwaves and remote controls.

3. What are the dangers of electromagnetic radiation?

While electromagnetic radiation is necessary for many technological advancements, it can also pose health risks. High levels of exposure to certain types of radiation, such as ultraviolet and ionizing radiation, can cause damage to cells and increase the risk of cancer. However, most types of electromagnetic radiation encountered in daily life are not harmful.

4. How does electromagnetic radiation interact with matter?

When electromagnetic radiation encounters matter, it can be reflected, transmitted, or absorbed. The type of interaction depends on the properties of the matter and the frequency of the radiation. For example, visible light is mostly transmitted through glass, while X-rays are mostly absorbed by bone.

5. Can electromagnetic radiation be used for remote sensing?

Yes, electromagnetic radiation can be used for remote sensing, which is the process of gathering information about an object or environment without making physical contact. Different types of electromagnetic radiation can be used for remote sensing, such as infrared radiation for thermal imaging and microwaves for weather forecasting.