Is Any Applied Force Truly a Normal Force?

In summary, the statement "any applied force can also be called a normal force" is only valid if the applied force is acting perpendicular to the surface. Otherwise, it would not be considered a normal force. This is because the normal force is defined as the force perpendicular to a surface that pushes back with an equal force in the opposite direction. It is important to consider the direction and placement of the applied force in relation to the surface when determining if it can be classified as a normal force.
Sandy_221
THIS IS THE QUESTION:

Your teacher says, “Any applied force can also be called a normal force.” Discuss the validity of this statement.

Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sandy_221 said:
THIS IS THE QUESTION:

Your teacher says, “Any applied force can also be called a normal force.” Discuss the validity of this statement.

Thanks guys.

No, YOU discuss the validity of this statement and ask questions if you are not sure about the validity of any of the points in your discussion. We are not here to do your homework for you.

Please read the forum rules for posting homework.

I think if the object that is acted upon is on the the X-Y plane, for example, then an applied force can't be considered a normal force if the former is in the same plane as the latter. In order for an applied force to be a normal force it has to be on the Z plane.

Is this right?

What do you think, guys?

Last edited:
I may not be following exactly what you're saying, but if I understand it, an example what you are describing would be a circle (a flat disk) in the XY plane. If that's the case, then a normal force could be one that is applied straight onto the disk from the Z direction (I don't understand what you mean by the "Z plane") OR it could be one that is applied normal to the circle from a direction in the XY plane.

If I've misunderstood the question, please set me straight and I'll have another think.

Let me put in an observation.

The "normal" force is the force perpendicular to any surface with which the surface "pushes back".

Furthermore, if you push against an object, the object pushes back with exactly the same force in the opposite direction (Newton's third law).

In other words, if you push against an object perpendicular to its surface, the normal force pushes back with the same force but in opposite direction.

However, if you do not push perpendicular to the surface, this is not true.

I like Serena said:
Let me put in an observation.

The "normal" force is the force perpendicular to any surface with which the surface "pushes back".

Furthermore, if you push against an object, the object pushes back with exactly the same force in the opposite direction (Newton's third law).

In other words, if you push against an object perpendicular to its surface, the normal force pushes back with the same force but in opposite direction.

However, if you do not push perpendicular to the surface, this is not true.

Yes, that is exactly what I had in mind. The force towards the edge of the circle WOULD have to be towards the center and I did neglect to state that.

Do you see any issue w/ my response?

FAQ: Is Any Applied Force Truly a Normal Force?

1. What is the difference between applied force and normal force?

Applied force is a force that is directly applied to an object, while normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object that is in contact with it. Applied force can be in any direction, while normal force is always perpendicular to the surface.

2. How are applied force and normal force related?

Applied force and normal force are related by Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on a surface, the surface will exert an equal and opposite force back on the object.

3. Can you give an example of when applied force and normal force are in action?

Sure, imagine pushing a book across a table. The force you apply to the book is the applied force, and the force the table exerts back on the book is the normal force. The book will only move if the applied force is greater than the normal force.

4. How do applied force and normal force affect an object's motion?

Applied force and normal force can affect an object's motion in different ways. Applied force can cause an object to accelerate or decelerate, while normal force can prevent an object from falling through a surface. These forces work together to determine the overall motion of an object.

5. Is normal force always equal to applied force?

No, normal force is not always equal to applied force. As mentioned earlier, normal force is equal to the force exerted by a surface on an object, while applied force is the force applied by an object on a surface. These forces can be equal, but they can also be unequal depending on the situation.

Back