Applied shear stress between plates

In summary: This is important in determining the shear stress between the two plates. In summary, when calculating shear stress between two plates, it is important to take into account the thickness of the plates and the relative displacement between them. The shear strain is equal to the relative displacement divided by the thickness of the sample. It is important to clarify whether we are dealing with a solid or a Newtonian fluid in order to fully understand the relationship between shear stress and shear strain.
Desner
Hi :), I need to calculate the shear stress applied between 2 plates and I don't remember how to take the thickness of the plates into account, --So basically I will be grateful if somebody could write the equillibrium for shearing stress between 2 plates (1 plate is applying force on the other plate(2) and causing shear stress between plate number 2 and what it's attached to).
Apart from that, I wish to improve my english so if i have any mistakes with what i wrote please correct me.
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The shear strain is equal to the relative displacement of the plates divided by the thickness of the sample. Is this enough to get you what you want? Do you know how the shear stress is related to the shear strain?

Chet

The relative displacement is the velocity with relation to both plates, Or do you mean the change in the material?, Because i know that the strain is all about the change in the material.Can you please put more details into that because I think I am missing a lot here.
thx:)

Desner said:
The relative displacement is the velocity with relation to both plates, Or do you mean the change in the material?, Because i know that the strain is all about the change in the material.Can you please put more details into that because I think I am missing a lot here.
thx:)
Are we talking about a solid or a Newtonian fluid?

Chet

solid

Desner said:
solid
If it's a solid, what does velocity have to do with the equilibrium relative displacement?

Chet

I asked what do you mean by the relative displacement?

Desner said:
I asked what do you mean by the relative displacement?
It is the distance that one plate moves sideways relative to the other plate.

Related to Applied shear stress between plates

What is applied shear stress between plates?

Applied shear stress between plates refers to the force per unit area that is applied parallel to the surface of two plates that are in contact with each other.

How is applied shear stress calculated?

Applied shear stress is calculated by dividing the force applied parallel to the surface of the plates by the cross-sectional area of the plates.

What factors affect applied shear stress between plates?

The factors that affect applied shear stress between plates include the magnitude of the applied force, the material properties of the plates, and the surface area of contact between the plates.

Why is applied shear stress important in engineering?

Applied shear stress is important in engineering because it is a critical factor in determining the stability and strength of structures. It helps engineers design and analyze structures to ensure they can withstand the forces acting on them.

How can applied shear stress be reduced?

Applied shear stress can be reduced by increasing the surface area of contact between the plates, decreasing the magnitude of the applied force, or using materials with higher shear strength. Additionally, using techniques such as welding or adding additional support can also help reduce applied shear stress.