Apply DFS to Minimize Antennas on Road

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Apply
In summary: So would we have to set $A[2]$ or $A[3]$ equal to $1$?Then the distance of the second house from the third one is $12$.So do we have to set $A[6+4]$ and $A[6+12-4]$ equal to $1$? In summary, to place the smallest number of antennas for a mobile phone company along a long straight road with houses, an algorithm can be used to place an antenna as far as possible along the road, then find the next closest house that is not in range of that antenna, and repeat until all houses are covered
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

We consider a long straight road along of which there are some houses.
A mobile phone company wants to put antennas along the road for the service of the residents of the homes.
The range of each antenna is four kilometers.
Give an algorithm that puts the smallest number of antennas.Could we consider the road as edges and the houses as vertices?
If so, then could we maybe apply DFS and mark the 4th edge, then the 8th and so on? (Thinking)

Technology news on Phys.org
I don't see how a graph formulation (or DFS) is useful here, especially given the "graph" is pretty simple, it's just a straight line with houses at regular intervals. So you can do it with a much simpler algorithm, assuming I understand the problem correctly, where the houses are assumed to be "on" the road at arbitrary positions.

I would begin by placing an antenna as far as possible along the road so that the first house is in range of it. Then, find the next closest house that is not in range of that antenna, and repeat. This can be done by simply sorting the houses by their distance along the road. The key to prove that this is optimal is to observe that the range of the antennas can overlap if needed (I assume) and that therefore the algorithm makes the optimal choice at each step because any other choice would either miss a house (requiring an additional antenna) or waste space (which means it can't be a better choice). Or at least I think...

Bacterius said:
I don't see how a graph formulation (or DFS) is useful here, especially given the "graph" is pretty simple, it's just a straight line with houses at regular intervals. So you can do it with a much simpler algorithm, assuming I understand the problem correctly, where the houses are assumed to be "on" the road at arbitrary positions.

I would begin by placing an antenna as far as possible along the road so that the first house is in range of it. Then, find the next closest house that is not in range of that antenna, and repeat.

So will we have for example such a straight line with houses?

View attachment 4355

If so, then would we put an antenna at the following green marked positions?

View attachment 4356
Bacterius said:
This can be done by simply sorting the houses by their distance along the road.

What do you mean with the fact that we could simply sort the houses by their distance along the road?
Do we check if the distance between two houses is less or equal to $4$? Or have I understood it wrong? (Worried)
Bacterius said:
The key to prove that this is optimal is to observe that the range of the antennas can overlap if needed (I assume) and that therefore the algorithm makes the optimal choice at each step because any other choice would either miss a house (requiring an additional antenna) or waste space (which means it can't be a better choice). Or at least I think...

Could you explain me further why this is optimal? I haven't understood it... :confused:

Attachments

• homes.png
    homes.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 68
  • homes2.png
    homes2.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 71
Hey! (Wave)

evinda said:
If so, then would we put an antenna at the following green marked positions?

View attachment 4356

The antenna in the 12 km section will cover either no house at all, or only 1 house.
So this is not a useful antenna. (Worried)Since each house has to be covered, we can start with the first house and put an antenna 4 km beyond it.
This choice has the most possible benefit and an antenna will be required within 4 km of the house. (Thinking)

Then we can find the next house that is not covered yet and repeat the procedure.

We are free to shift the antennas backward a bit as long as they still cover the same houses.When we're finished we'll have a solution with a minimal number of antennas.
There can be other solutions, for instance if we start at the other end of the road, but since it will also be optimal, it will have the same number of antennas. (Mmm)

I like Serena said:
Hey! (Wave)
The antenna in the 12 km section will cover either no house at all, or only 1 house.
So this is not a useful antenna. (Worried)Since each house has to be covered, we can start with the first house and put an antenna 4 km beyond it.
This choice has the most possible benefit and an antenna will be required within 4 km of the house. (Thinking)

Then we can find the next house that is not covered yet and repeat the procedure.

We are free to shift the antennas backward a bit as long as they still cover the same houses.When we're finished we'll have a solution with a minimal number of antennas.
There can be other solutions, for instance if we start at the other end of the road, but since it will also be optimal, it will have the same number of antennas. (Mmm)
Do we have to create a struct that contains the number of the house and its distance from the next one? (Thinking)

Also do we have to count the sum of the distances $s$ and then create an array $A$, initialize all of its positions $A[1], A[2], \dots, A$ with $0$, compare the distance of the first house from the second one and set an appropriate value $A$ equal to $1$ and so on?

For example, in our road the distance of the first house to the second one is $6$. So would we have to set $A[2]$ or $A[3]$ equal to $1$?
Then the distance of the second house from the third one is $12$. So do we have to set $A[6+4]$ and $A[6+12-4]$ equal to $1$? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Do we have to create a struct that contains the number of the house and its distance from the next one? (Thinking)

Also do we have to count the sum of the distances $s$ and then create an array $A$, initialize all of its positions $A[1], A[2], \dots, A$ with $0$, compare the distance of the first house from the second one and set an appropriate value $A$ equal to $1$ and so on?

For example, in our road the distance of the first house to the second one is $6$. So would we have to set $A[2]$ or $A[3]$ equal to $1$?
Then the distance of the second house from the third one is $12$. So do we have to set $A[6+4]$ and $A[6+12-4]$ equal to $1$? (Thinking)

There doesn't really seem to be a need to keep structures for this problem. (Thinking)

I suggest to iterate over the input (distances between the houses), track the total distance, and track the distance from the first house that is not covered yet.
Then output the appropriate antenna locations and the total number of antennas. (Sweating)

I like Serena said:
There doesn't really seem to be a need to keep structures for this problem. (Thinking)

I suggest to iterate over the input (distances between the houses), track the total distance, and track the distance from the first house that is not covered yet.
Then output the appropriate antenna locations and the total number of antennas. (Sweating)

In our example, the input is the following, right?

View attachment 4358

We can place an antenna at the 4th kilometer, then at the (6+12)th kilometer, and then we don't have to put an other antenna for the next house. Then we put an antenna at the (6+12+4+2+1)th kilometer, then at the (6+12+4+2+1+10)th kilometer and then we are done.
Or have I understood it wrong? (Thinking)

Attachments

• dist.png
    dist.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 64
evinda said:
In our example, the input is the following, right?
We can place an antenna at the 4th kilometer, then at the (6+12)th kilometer, and then we don't have to put an other antenna for the next house. Then we put an antenna at the (6+12+4+2+1)th kilometer, then at the (6+12+4+2+1+10)th kilometer and then we are done.
Or have I understood it wrong? (Thinking)

First antenna should indeed be at 0+4=4, but the second should be at 6+12+4, covering 3 houses instead of 2.
Each antenna goes 4 km beyond the first house that is not covered yet. (Wasntme)

I like Serena said:
First antenna should indeed be at 0+4=4, but the second should be at 6+12+4, covering 3 houses instead of 2.
Each antenna goes 4 km beyond the first house that is not covered yet. (Wasntme)

So should the algorithm look as follows?

Code:
Algorithm(distances[0...n-1]){
  number=0;
  km=0;
  for (i=0; i<n-1; i++){
        km=km+4;
        number++;
        printf("%d",km);
        km=km+distance[i]+distance[i+1];
  }
}

evinda said:
So should the algorithm look as follows?

What would the result be on your example input? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
What would the result be on your example input? (Wondering)

For [m] i=0 [/m] the algorithm prints [m] 4 [/m].
For [m] i=1 [/m] it prints [m] 4+6+12+4 [/m] and this is wrong.

So the mistake should be at this command: [m] km=km+distance+distance[i+1] [/m], right? (Thinking)

evinda said:
For [m] i=0 [/m] the algorithm prints [m] 4 [/m].
For [m] i=1 [/m] it prints [m] 4+6+12+4 [/m] and this is wrong.

So the mistake should be at this command: [m] km=km+distance+distance[i+1] [/m], right? (Thinking)

Indeed, there seems to be some assumption in there. (Wasntme)
What is the command supposed to do? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Indeed, there seems to be some assumption in there. (Wasntme)
What is the command supposed to do? (Wondering)

I am a little confused now.. Is it right as follows?

Distance of first from second house: 6 ---> We put an antenna at 4th kilometer so both of the houses have access to the antenna.

Distance of second from third house: 12 ---> The second house has already access so we have to put an antenna at the (6+12+4)th kilometer.

Distance of third from 4th house: 4 ---> The third house has already access so we have to put an antenna at the (6+12+4+4)th kilometer.

Distance of 4th from 5th house: 1 ---> The 4th house has already access so we have to put an antenna at the (6+12+4+1+4)th kilometer.If it is like that, then the formula for the kilometers, except from the first one that is 4, is the following:

$$km=\sum_{i=0}^j \text{distance}+4$$

when we are looking at the $j-$th house.

Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

It should be like this:
$$\newcommand{\house}{\stackrel{\color{red}{\blacktriangle}}{\Box}}
\newcommand{\antenna}{\maltese}

\underbrace{\house 6 \house}_{\underset 4\antenna}\ 12\ \underbrace{\house 4 \house 1 \house }_{\underset {(6+12)+4}\antenna}\ 10\ \underbrace{\house 3 \house 1 \house}_{\underset {(6+12+4+1+10)+4}{\qquad\quad\antenna}}
$$
(Wasntme)

I like Serena said:
It should be like this:
$$\newcommand{\house}{\stackrel{\color{red}{\blacktriangle}}{\Box}}
\newcommand{\antenna}{\maltese}

\underbrace{\house 6 \house}_{\underset 4\antenna}\ 12\ \underbrace{\house 4 \house 1 \house }_{\underset {(6+12)+4}\antenna}\ 10\ \underbrace{\house 3 \house 1 \house}_{\underset {(6+12+4+1+10)+4}{\qquad\quad\antenna}}
$$
(Wasntme)

Is this algorithm right? Algorithm(distance[0...n-1]){ dist[0]=0 // dist is the distance of the fi - Pastebin.com

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
What would be its output for the example? (Wondering)

It wasn't right, so I edited my previous post.. No I get the right result.. Do you agree with the algorithm? (Thinking)

evinda said:
It wasn't right, so I edited my previous post.. No I get the right result.. Do you agree with the algorithm? (Thinking)

The algorithm looks fine to me. (Happy)
As far as I can tell the important parts (2 nested loops) are in place, including checks for termination and edge cases.
I didn't check if it will actually do the job, or if all edge cases are covered properly. (Tauri)

Related to Apply DFS to Minimize Antennas on Road

1. What is DFS and how does it apply to minimizing antennas on road?

DFS stands for Dynamic Frequency Selection and it is a technique used in wireless communication systems to minimize interference between different devices operating on the same frequency band. In the context of minimizing antennas on road, DFS can be used to optimize the placement and usage of antennas to reduce interference and improve signal strength.

2. Why is it important to minimize antennas on road?

Minimizing antennas on road is important for several reasons. Firstly, it helps to reduce the amount of visual clutter and potential hazards on the road. Additionally, minimizing antennas can also lead to more efficient use of limited frequency bands and improve the overall performance of wireless communication systems.

3. How does DFS work to minimize antennas on road?

DFS works by detecting and avoiding other devices operating on the same frequency band. It does this by constantly scanning for other signals and adjusting the frequency of the antenna to avoid interference. This allows for more efficient use of the available frequency bands and reduces the need for multiple antennas in close proximity.

4. What are the benefits of using DFS to minimize antennas on road?

There are several benefits to using DFS to minimize antennas on road. As mentioned, it helps to reduce visual clutter and potential hazards on the road. It also improves the overall performance of wireless communication systems by reducing interference and optimizing the use of available frequency bands. Additionally, it can also save costs by reducing the need for multiple antennas in close proximity.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in applying DFS to minimize antennas on road?

While DFS is a useful technique, there are some limitations and challenges in applying it to minimize antennas on road. One challenge is that it only works for wireless communication systems that operate on a frequency band that supports DFS. Additionally, it may not be effective in highly congested areas with a large number of devices operating on the same frequency band. Furthermore, proper planning and coordination among different parties involved in deploying antennas on road may be necessary for the successful implementation of DFS.