Applying Modus Tollens in Conditional Statements

• I
  • Thread starter entropy1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    logic
In summary, the conversation discusses using the modus tollens rule to establish the negation of an event given its implication with another event. There is also a mention of using symbolic logic and probability in the reasoning. It is clarified that the notation {B|α} represents the event B occurring under the circumstance α. However, there is some confusion regarding the use of α and its relation to the events B and R. The conversation also touches on de Morgan's Laws and how they can be used to convert logical expressions.
entropy1
I can't figure out this: Say we have event B given α, denoted as {B|α}. If B happens, that implies that R happens: {B|α} → R.

Now I want to apply modus Tollens. So if I do, do I get the result: ¬R → {¬B|α}? I mean, I hope I can keep the α unaffected. Is that the case? ¬X meaning X does not happen.

Physics news on Phys.org
entropy1 said:
I can't figure out this: Say we have event B given α, denoted as {B|α}. If B happens, that implies that R happens: {B|α} → R.
This doesn't seem right to me. What you have written looks like a conditional probability, rather than one of the usual operations used in symbolic logic; e.g. conjunction, disjunction, negation, or implication. For starters B and A (let's use A rather than α) are both events, each with its own probability of occurring. The conditional probability Pr(B | A) is defined as:
$$Pr(B | A) = \frac{Pr(A \wedge B)}{Pr(A)}$$
With symbolic logic an expression is either true or false, so probability doesn't enter into the calculations. It seems to me you are mixing symbolic logic and probability.

entropy1 said:
Now I want to apply modus Tollens. So if I do, do I get the result: ¬R → {¬B|α}? I mean, I hope I can keep the α unaffected. Is that the case? ¬X meaning X does not happen.

Likes Stephen Tashi
I forgot to mention that the α signifies all other factors are left unchanged. Maybe that is reasonable? My original formulation was {B, α}, a loose formulation.

I do not see how ## \alpha## is necessary here. Just put it into ##B'##. So if ##B' \to R## and ##\lnot R## then modus tollendo tollens says ##\lnot B'##. Now that we have ##B'=\{B\,|\,\alpha\}## as given ##\alpha##, you can independently investigate ##\{B\,|\,\alpha\}## and ##\{B\,|\,\lnot \alpha\}.##

B is a specific event out of set {}B. ¬B is any event different from event B out of the same set. Likewise for R.

Suppose that {B, α} → R (1) and {¬B, α} → ¬R (2), where α is an element out of the set of possible circumstances for events out of set {}B.

Then (2) would be the same as {B, α} ← R, would it? R implies B, but not the circumstances α. α is more or less a given.

I am officially confused by your special anysets of circumstances. Reminds me a bit of the famous anykey. My first reaction was: draw me a Venn diagram.

You can only conclude ##R\longrightarrow \lnot \{\lnot B,\alpha\}##. Whether ##\lnot \{\lnot B,\alpha\} \longleftrightarrow \{B,\alpha\}## cannot be said from the information you gave us.

entropy1 said:

It sounds like you're just using {B|a} to mean B and a. The negation would be not R implies (not B or not a).

Likes sysprog and entropy1
Jarvis323 said:
It sounds like you're just using {B|a} to mean B and a. The negation would be not R implies not B or not a.
Exactly what I was thinking.

It seems to come down to (Bn AND α) → Rn, or ¬Rn → (¬Bn OR ¬α).

Thanks!

Last edited:
entropy1 said:
Exactly what I was thinking.

It seems to come down to (Bn AND α) → Rn, or ¬Rn → (¬Bn OR ¬α).

Thanks!
That makes more sense. Here you're using one of de Morgan's Laws to convert ##\neg (B_n \wedge \alpha)## to ##(\neg B_n \vee \neg \alpha)##.

Likes sysprog
The modus tollendo tollens rule is a logic rule that is usually called modus tollens and which can be derived via transposition from the modus ponens rule − some writers refer to modus tollendo ponens and some writers refer to modus ponendo tollens -- anyway the modus ponens rule is that if A then B, and A, then B, and the modus tollens rule is that if A then B, and not B, then not A.

Last edited:
Likes Jarvis323

FAQ: Applying Modus Tollens in Conditional Statements

1. What is Modus Tollens?

Modus Tollens is a logical rule of inference that allows you to prove the negation of a conditional statement by showing that the consequent is false.

2. How does Modus Tollens work?

Modus Tollens works by assuming the antecedent of a conditional statement is true, and then using that assumption to prove that the consequent must be false. This allows you to conclude that the original conditional statement is false.

3. What is the difference between Modus Tollens and Modus Ponens?

Modus Tollens and Modus Ponens are both logical rules of inference, but they differ in their approach. Modus Tollens works by proving the negation of a conditional statement, while Modus Ponens works by proving the consequent of a conditional statement.

4. How is Modus Tollens used in scientific research?

In scientific research, Modus Tollens is used to test hypotheses and theories. By using this logical rule, scientists can prove that a certain prediction or consequence of a theory is false, which can lead to the rejection or modification of the theory.

5. Can Modus Tollens be applied to all conditional statements?

No, Modus Tollens can only be applied to conditional statements in the form of "If A, then B". It cannot be applied to other types of conditional statements, such as "A if and only if B".

Back