Applying to Cambridge DAMTP or Part III Math?

In summary, the individual is considering applying to Cambridge for a PhD in theoretical physics. They have a strong academic background and have been involved in research in hep-ph. They are interested in the research at Cavendish but also considering applying directly to DAMTP or the Part III Math program. Their main concern is funding for their studies. They are seeking information on funding options and all replies are appreciated.
Stan Marsh
I am now considering applying to Cambridge for a PhD in theoretical physics.

My background is basically: rank 5% in one of the top 3 universities in China (it seems it's hard for Chinese student to get a phd in theoretical physics?), above average GRE and TOEFL scores, and have been doing research in hep-ph for about 1.5 years (learn lots of QFT), with a publication in preparation.

I find that lots of professors' research at Cavendish match mine quite well. But I want to do something more "theoretical", so I am thinking of applying to Cambridge DAMTP directly or to Part III Math.

One thing concerns me most is that is it really hard for one to be admitted by DAMTP without taking part iii math? If so, I can apply to the part iii math program. But will it be hard for one to get enough scholarship? If I get admitted but can not find any scholarship, I still can't go.

I am sorry that this post seems to be too long. But I am really in need of some information to help me to make the decision. All replies are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was wondering about this too. I'm not familiar with the UK education system, but I was under the impression that students had to pay for masters degrees out of pocket, and usually masters degrees were required before Ph.D. How can people find sources of funding for a masters degree in the UK?

Try this:

http://www.britishcouncil.org/china-education-scholarships-chevening.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
mal4mac said:
Try this:

http://www.britishcouncil.org/china-education-scholarships-chevening.htm

thanks~ that is really of great help

Last edited by a moderator:

I can understand your dilemma and the importance of making the right decision when it comes to pursuing a PhD in theoretical physics. Firstly, congratulations on your impressive academic background and research experience in hep-ph. It is certainly not easy for Chinese students to secure a PhD in theoretical physics, but your achievements demonstrate your dedication and potential in this field.

In terms of applying to Cambridge DAMTP or Part III Math, both programs have their own strengths and it ultimately depends on your research interests and goals. DAMTP is known for its strong theoretical physics research, while Part III Math offers a more diverse range of mathematical and theoretical topics. As you have mentioned, many professors at Cavendish have research interests that align with yours, so it would be worth considering applying directly to DAMTP.

Regarding the concern about being admitted to DAMTP without taking Part III Math, it is difficult for me to give a definitive answer as admissions decisions are based on many factors. However, having a strong background in QFT and a publication in preparation can certainly strengthen your application. It would also be beneficial to reach out to professors at DAMTP and express your interest in their research, as they may be able to provide valuable insight and advice.

In terms of scholarships, it is always recommended to explore all available options and apply for as many as possible. Cambridge has a number of scholarships specifically for international students, and you may also be eligible for funding from your home country or external organizations. It is important to plan and budget accordingly, but do not let financial concerns discourage you from pursuing your passion and academic goals.

I hope this information helps you in making your decision. As a final note, I would also encourage you to consider other top universities and programs in theoretical physics, as it is important to find the right fit for your research interests and career aspirations. Best of luck in your application process.

Related to Applying to Cambridge DAMTP or Part III Math?

1. What is the application process for Cambridge DAMTP or Part III Math?

The application process for Cambridge DAMTP or Part III Math involves filling out an online application form, submitting academic transcripts, a personal statement, and letters of recommendation. Additionally, applicants may be required to take the STEP exam and attend an interview.

2. What are the admission requirements for Cambridge DAMTP or Part III Math?

The admission requirements for Cambridge DAMTP or Part III Math include a strong background in mathematics, preferably with a degree in mathematics or a closely related field. Applicants should also have excellent academic records, strong letters of recommendation, and a compelling personal statement.

3. What is the difference between Cambridge DAMTP and Part III Math?

Cambridge DAMTP (Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics) is the graduate department for mathematics and theoretical physics at the University of Cambridge. Part III Math is a one-year taught Masters program within the DAMTP department, designed for students who have completed an undergraduate degree in mathematics or a related discipline.

4. Is there financial support available for international students applying to Cambridge DAMTP or Part III Math?

Yes, there are several financial support options available for international students applying to Cambridge DAMTP or Part III Math. These include scholarships, bursaries, and funding opportunities through the University of Cambridge and external organizations. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early in the application process.

5. What is the acceptance rate for Cambridge DAMTP or Part III Math?

The acceptance rate for Cambridge DAMTP or Part III Math varies from year to year and depends on the number of applicants and the strength of their applications. However, it is generally quite competitive, with only a small percentage of applicants being accepted into the program. It is important to have a strong academic background and a compelling application to increase chances of acceptance.