Applying to Cambridge university

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of continuing studies at Cambridge University after obtaining a bachelor's degree equivalent, with a focus on the academic qualifications and personal attributes needed for acceptance. The cost of living and options for funding as an international student are also mentioned. The conversation ends with well wishes and advice from someone currently studying at a different university.
hellbike
hello.

I'm thinking about continuing my studies at Cambridge University after i obtain bachelor degree equivalent,
and i have few questions about that university.

How good you have to be, to get to Cambridge? high level of understand of knowledge lectured during bachelor studies, being active in scientific circle, having single research on my account - is this enough? Or is this more like required minimum? Will this at least guarantee invitation for interview?

question no. 2 - cost of living. What options do i have, if I am not from UK ? From where can i get money, and what requirements i have to meet? Is this even possible to study there witchout having rich parents ( I'm talking about graduate studies)?

Physics news on Phys.org
hellbike said:
I'm thinking about continuing my studies at Cambridge University after i obtain bachelor degree equivalent, and i have few questions about that university.

Hi

Where are you studying at the minute? You don’t mention which country you are in.

hellbike said:
How good you have to be, to get to Cambridge? high level of understand of knowledge lectured during bachelor studies, being active in scientific circle, having single research on my account - is this enough? Or is this more like required minimum? Will this at least guarantee invitation for interview?

As one of the top universities in the UK, you have to be pretty good. The minimum entry requirements are an upper second class UK degree, which, in American terms, is a GPA of about 3.3 – 3.6. However, due to the competition for places, a first class UK degree, or GPA of about 3.6 – 4.0 would stand a better chance.

There are no guarantees for an interview, and having previously published work is not necessary (though it wouldn’t hurt either). They tend to look for additional things on the applications, such as what you do in your spare time, whether you take part in clubs or organize events.

There was an interview with someone from the Cambridge selection panel in a UK magazine a few months ago. She said that while the academic qualifications are important, the personality of the person is as well. She said she had picked someone for a place with a 2:1 degree rather than someone else with a 1st, as their personality was better, and they showed more willingness to learn.

hellbike said:
question no. 2 - cost of living. What options do i have, if I am not from UK ? From where can i get money, and what requirements i have to meet? Is this even possible to study there witchout having rich parents ( I'm talking about graduate studies)?

The cost of living will vary depending on where exactly you stay and what you do. If you stay in the halls, then it will be about £6,000 - £7,000 per year for rent, meals, etc; see here for an example: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/454 .

There are a small number of funded positions available each year from the STFC. These give you around £15,000 for each of the three years of the PhD. Should you take longer, there is no guarantee of additional funding.

International students can also register for other forms of funding; see here: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/gradstud/funding/aid/.

One other thing is to make sure that on the application form you use the correct spelling, punctuation and grammar. This may be difficult if English is not your first language, but in this case I would get someone to check it before you send it. A poorly worded application wouldn’t stand much chance of acceptance.

Anyhow, good luck in applying. If you get in I’m sure you’ll have a great three years!

All the best,

Liam (doing an MSc at the University of Manchester)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Cambridge University. Admission to Cambridge is highly competitive and requires a high level of academic achievement and potential. While having a strong understanding of the knowledge lectured during your bachelor studies and being active in scientific circles is certainly important, it is not enough on its own to guarantee admission. Cambridge looks for well-rounded individuals who have a passion for their subject and can demonstrate independent thinking and critical analysis skills. A single research project on your account can certainly strengthen your application, but it is not a requirement.

As for the cost of living, international students at Cambridge are required to demonstrate that they have sufficient funds to cover their tuition fees and living expenses. There are various scholarships and funding opportunities available for international students, and you can find more information on the Cambridge University website. It is certainly possible to study at Cambridge without having rich parents, but it is important to carefully plan and budget for your expenses.

I hope this helps answer your questions. Best of luck with your application to Cambridge University.

Related to Applying to Cambridge university

1. What are the requirements for applying to Cambridge University?

The requirements for applying to Cambridge University vary depending on the program and department you are applying to. Generally, applicants are expected to have excellent academic grades, strong personal statements, and letters of recommendation. Some programs may also require applicants to take specific entrance exams or submit a portfolio of their work.

2. How do I apply to Cambridge University?

To apply to Cambridge University, you will need to submit an application through the university's online portal, known as the Cambridge Online Preliminary Application (COPA). You will need to create an account, provide personal information, and select the program(s) you wish to apply for. You will also need to submit any required documents, such as transcripts and personal statements, through the portal.

3. What is the deadline for applying to Cambridge University?

The deadline for applying to Cambridge University varies depending on the program and the applicant's nationality. Generally, the deadline for international students is in October, while the deadline for UK and EU students is in January. It is important to check the specific deadline for the program you are interested in and submit your application before the deadline.

4. What is the interview process like for Cambridge University?

The interview process for Cambridge University is an important part of the application process and varies depending on the program and department. Generally, shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview at the university. The interviews are usually conducted by faculty members and are designed to assess the applicant's academic ability and potential. Some programs may also require applicants to take additional exams or assessments during the interview process.

5. How can I increase my chances of getting accepted into Cambridge University?

To increase your chances of getting accepted into Cambridge University, it is important to have excellent academic grades, a strong personal statement, and letters of recommendation. It is also beneficial to participate in extracurricular activities and demonstrate a passion for your chosen field of study. Additionally, preparing for the entrance exams and interviews can also improve your chances of acceptance.