Appropriate App for Derivative Plotting

In summary: This process can be repeated as many times as you need to achieve your desired result. Octave, GnuPlot, and SciDAVis are all useful tools for this task, so you can choose whichever one you feel most comfortable using. In summary, to work with long functions and multiple variables, you can define the variables, plot the curves, and integrate the function using a separate script or by entering the values directly into the function. You can use tools like Octave, GnuPlot, or SciDAVis to help with this process.
syberraith
I have some long functions with about half a dozen varibles.

Some thing like:

f(t) = sqrt((Gr^2*Gw^2+Gr^2)*cos(Gw*t)^2 -2*Gr*Xr*Xw*cos(Gw*t) +Xr^2*Xw^2)

I want to define the variables, then plot out the curves, integrate an interval, then change some variables and re-plot the curve, and re-integrate.

Making an input file that defines the variables and the function along with the integration command would be fine, I'm thinking that Octave would probably be the app for that. I could use an outline of how to do that.

I have Octave, GnuPlot, and SciDAVis. I was hoping to use SciDAVis, although I am having trouble figuring out how to define the variables.

What should I do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, you need to define the variables in your function. You can do this either by entering them directly into the function or by assigning them to variables in a separate script. For example, if your function is f(t) = sqrt((Gr^2*Gw^2+Gr^2)*cos(Gw*t)^2 -2*Gr*Xr*Xw*cos(Gw*t) +Xr^2*Xw^2), you could assign values for Gr, Gw, Xr, and Xw in a script like this:Gr = 1;Gw = 2;Xr = 3;Xw = 4;Then, you can plot the function in SciDAVis by typing the following command into the console:plot f(t)This will create a graph of the function with the specified variables. You can also integrate the function over an interval by typing the following command into the console:quad("f",a,b)where a and b are the lower and upper limits of the integration interval. Finally, you can change the variables and re-plot the curve and re-integrate it by editing the values of Gr, Gw, Xr, and Xw in the script and then running the plot and quad commands again.

Related to Appropriate App for Derivative Plotting

1. What is an appropriate app for derivative plotting?

An appropriate app for derivative plotting is a software or application that allows you to graph the derivative of a function. Some popular options include Desmos, GeoGebra, and Wolfram Alpha.

2. How can I use an app to plot derivatives?

To plot derivatives using an app, you would first need to input the function into the app. Then, you can usually specify that you want to graph the derivative of the function. The app will then generate a graph of the derivative for you.

3. What are the benefits of using an app for derivative plotting?

Using an app for derivative plotting can save time and effort compared to manually calculating and graphing derivatives. It can also provide more accurate and visually appealing graphs.

4. Are there any limitations to using an app for derivative plotting?

Some apps may have limited functions or may not be able to graph certain types of functions. Additionally, the accuracy of the graph may also depend on the accuracy of the input function.

5. Can I use an app for derivative plotting in my research or academic work?

Yes, many apps for derivative plotting are widely used in research and academic settings. However, it is important to check with your instructor or research advisor to ensure that the use of such apps is allowed and appropriate for your specific project.