Approximate area using partial fractions

In summary, the area between the x-axis and the graph of ##f(x)=\frac{10}{x(x^2+1)}## over the interval [1,3] can be approximated by using numerical methods such as rectangles and trapezoids. By looking at the graph of f(x) and comparing it to a triangle, we can eliminate some possible values for the area and make a more accurate approximation.
delve
Determine which value best approximates the area of the region between the x-axis and the graph of ##f(x)=\frac{10}{x(x^2+1)}## over the interval [1,3]. Make your selection on the basis of a sketch of the region and not by performing any calculations. Explain your reasoning.

(a) -6 (b) 6 (c) 3 (d) 5 (e) 8

I am currently studying partial fractions and I must use partial fractions to solve this problem. My book is Calculus, 8th edition, by Larson. The page my problem is on is 560, #56.

At first, I try calculating the range of the area of this graph by calculating the area of the circumscribed and inscribed rectangles, each of which had a width of 1. I got a range of ##\frac{1}{3}\leq Area\leq6##. Unfortunately, this still leaves me with possible values of 3, 5, and 6. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
You might try mid-point rectangles instead of upper or lower rectangles. Another possibility is join the points with straight line segments and use trapezoids and see if one of those methods helps. Or maybe both of those involve disallowed "calculations"?

[Edit] Added later -- Try the trapezoids and see if you can argue you are overestimating.

Last edited:
delve said:
Determine which value best approximates the area of the region between the x-axis and the graph of ##cc## over the interval [1,3]. Make your selection on the basis of a sketch of the region and not by performing any calculations. Explain your reasoning.

(a) -6 (b) 6 (c) 3 (d) 5 (e) 8I am currently studying partial fractions and I must use partial fractions to solve this problem. My book is Calculus, 8th edition, by Larson. The page my problem is on is 560, #56.

At first, I try calculating the range of the area of this graph by calculating the area of the circumscribed and inscribed rectangles, each of which had a width of 1. I got a range of ##\frac{1}{3}\leq Area\leq6##. Unfortunately, this still leaves me with possible values of 3, 5, and 6. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

If you aren't allowed to integrate I'm not sure how they would expect you to do this.

A rough estimate could be to add ##max(f(x)) + min(f(x))## and average them out. You can easily spot them on a graph if you have one.

Infact, if you want to get more accurate you could take more values on the interval and average them out.

Zondrina said:
If you aren't allowed to integrate I'm not sure how they would expect you to do this.
There are a number of approximation techniques, as mentioned in LCKurtz's post, such as rectangles, with the height being the function value at the left endpoint, right endpoint, middle, or elsewhere, as well as trapezoids. These are just a few of the numerical methods that can be used to approximate a definite integral.

delve,
Is the goal here to first approximate the integral, and then to calculate the exact value using partial fractions? Your problem statement wasn't clear as to what you need to do.

delve said:
Determine which value best approximates the area of the region between the x-axis and the graph of ##f(x)=\frac{10}{x(x^2+1)}## over the interval [1,3]. Make your selection on the basis of a sketch of the region and not by performing any calculations. Explain your reasoning.

Look at the graph of f(x) over [1,3]. Do you think that the area under it is clearly more, or less, than that of the triangle with vertices at (1,5), (1,0), and (3,0)? Which of your answers does that eliminate?

FAQ: Approximate area using partial fractions

1. What is the concept of "approximate area using partial fractions"?

The concept of "approximate area using partial fractions" is a method used in calculus to find the area under a curve that cannot be easily integrated using traditional methods. It involves breaking down the curve into simpler fractions, known as partial fractions, and then using these fractions to approximate the area under the curve.

2. Why is it necessary to use partial fractions to approximate area?

In some cases, the curve being integrated may be too complex to be integrated using traditional methods. By breaking it down into simpler partial fractions, it becomes easier to approximate the area under the curve using basic integration techniques.

3. How do you determine the partial fractions to use for a given curve?

The process for determining the partial fractions to use involves factoring the numerator and denominator of the fraction and then setting up a system of equations to solve for the unknown coefficients. These coefficients will then be used as the partial fractions in the integration process.

4. Can approximate area using partial fractions be used for any type of curve?

No, approximate area using partial fractions is only applicable for certain types of curves, such as rational functions. It cannot be used for curves with irrational or transcendental functions.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using this method?

One limitation of using approximate area using partial fractions is that it can only provide an approximation of the area, not the exact value. Additionally, it may not work for all types of curves and can be a time-consuming process to determine the partial fractions for a given curve.