Approximate spring potential energy U(x) for small oscillations

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to approximate a PE function with a Taylor series expansion for small values of x. The goal is to show that the force and potential approximations lead to the same basic form at small amplitudes. The first step is to understand the general potential function and its Taylor series. Then, using the fact that the equilibrium point is at x = 0, the first derivative is set to 0 and the remaining terms are simplified for small x. This is a common concept in physics and understanding it can be beneficial for understanding systems.
StationaryPanic

Homework Statement

"Take a PE function U(x), which has an equilibrium point at x=0, and provides a restoring force in that region, and show that a Taylor expansion around that area can be approximated by a SHO PE function for small x."

Homework Equations

U=.5kx^2...x = (A^2)*sin^2(wo(t)-delta)
also typical taylor series expansion...MacLaurin expansion for x=0 i think?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've made several attempts...I don't think i have a general concept of how to proceed with this problem. Expansion of .5kx^-2 already ended up 0 + k*0 + k...integrating this k that remains twice gives kx^2 which aside from missing the .5 term seems to be validating our goal of the problem: showing that force and potential approximations both lead to the same basic form at small amplitudes. I just don't think I have any concept of how to expand a function using a series, which is sad considering I have already passed Mechanics II and am retaking for GPA reasons and shooting myself in the foot somewhat. Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
So you have a general potential ##U(x)##.
What is the Taylor series for such a function (the sum-expression)?

Next you use what's given, equilibrium means that the first derivative is 0.
Remember, you look at a small region around ##x=0##. What can you say about ##x^2## compared to ##x^4##?

Try to understand this assignment really well, it is common all around physics.
At least to get a feel for your system, this can help an awful lot.

Related to Approximate spring potential energy U(x) for small oscillations

1. What is the formula for calculating approximate spring potential energy for small oscillations?

The formula for calculating approximate spring potential energy for small oscillations is U(x) = 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

2. How does small oscillation affect the spring potential energy?

In small oscillations, the spring potential energy is directly proportional to the square of the displacement from the equilibrium position. This means that as the displacement increases, the potential energy also increases.

3. Can the spring potential energy be negative for small oscillations?

Yes, the spring potential energy can be negative for small oscillations if the displacement is in the opposite direction of the spring force. This means that the spring is being compressed instead of stretched.

4. What is the significance of small oscillations in the calculation of spring potential energy?

Small oscillations are important because they allow us to use the simpler formula for spring potential energy, U(x) = 1/2kx^2. This formula is only accurate for small oscillations and is more convenient to use compared to the general formula, U(x) = -∫F(x)dx.

5. How does the spring constant affect the spring potential energy for small oscillations?

The spring constant directly affects the spring potential energy for small oscillations. A higher spring constant means a stiffer spring, which requires more force to be stretched or compressed. This results in a larger potential energy for the same displacement compared to a spring with a lower spring constant.