Approximate the probability of tunneling

In summary, the conversation discusses the harmonic oscillator potential perturbed by a small cubic term and the probability of tunneling from the ground state to the far right region. The probability of tunneling is given by T = |T|^2 = e^(-2∫^a_0 dx √(2m(V-E)/ħ^2)), where V(x) is the potential and E is the energy. Various attempts at solving the integral and approximating the curve are discussed. However, it is suggested that the correct formula for the probability of tunneling is T = ∫_(2a/3)^∞ |ψ(x)|^2 dx.
AntiStrange

Homework Statement

Consider the harmonic scillator potential perturbed by a small cubic term, so that
[tex]V(x) = \frac{1}{2}m\omega^{2} (x^{2} - \frac{x^{3}}{a})[/tex]
if a is large compared to the characteristic dimension [itex](\hbar /m\omega)^{1/2}[/itex], the states will all me metastable, since there can be no lowest energy state (as [itex]x\rightarrow\infty[/itex], the energy gets arbitrarily negative). Estimate the probability of tunneling from the ground state to the region on the far right.

Homework Equations

probability = [tex]|T|^{2} = e^{-2\int^{a}_{0} dx \sqrt{2m(V-E)/\hbar^{2}}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

A rough sketch of what the potential should look like when graphed is attached. However, I cut out the [itex]\frac{1}{2}m\omega^{2}[/itex] part at the front (is that bad?) but anyway that is what [itex]x^{2}-x^{3}/a[/itex] looks like. it crosses the x-axis at x=0 and x=a, and the maximum on the right side is at (2/3)a.

I have tried several things. Just substituting the potential given in the problem and I'm using E = (1/2)*h-bar*omega as the energy (ground state of the harmonic oscillator), into the equation but I can't solve the integral, even an online automatic integrator doesn't figure it out.
I have also tried equating the potential to the energy using the E = (1/2)*h-bar*omega and setting that equal to the potential and solving for omega. even though I'm not sure I am allowed to do this, it simplifies things a little bit, but the integral still seems impossible to solve.
I have also tried to approximate the curve on the right side by a negative parabola, perhaps it would work but I am having some trouble finding a parabola that fits close enough.

Any help would be very appreciated, or a point in the right direction.

Attachments

• graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 392
Physics news on Phys.org
AntiStrange said:

Homework Equations

probability = [tex]|T|^{2} = e^{-2\int^{a}_{0} dx \sqrt{2m(V-E)/\hbar^{2}}}[/tex]

That doesn't look right...Shouldn't the probability that a particle tunnels over the barrier into the far right be given by

[tex]T=\int_{\frac{2a}{3}}^{\infty} |\psi(x)|^2 dx[/tex]

?

Related to Approximate the probability of tunneling

What is tunneling in quantum mechanics?

Tunneling in quantum mechanics refers to the phenomenon where a particle can pass through a potential barrier even though it does not have enough energy to overcome the barrier. This is possible due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

How is the probability of tunneling calculated?

The probability of tunneling is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. This equation takes into account the energy of the particle, the shape of the potential barrier, and the distance the particle needs to tunnel through.

Can any particle tunnel through a potential barrier?

No, not all particles can tunnel through a potential barrier. Only particles with wave-like properties, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons, can exhibit tunneling behavior in quantum mechanics.

What factors affect the probability of tunneling?

The probability of tunneling is affected by the thickness and height of the potential barrier, as well as the energy of the particle. A higher potential barrier or a lower energy particle will result in a lower probability of tunneling.

What are some real-world applications of tunneling?

Tunneling has several real-world applications, such as in scanning tunneling microscopes used in nanotechnology, tunneling diodes used in electronic devices, and nuclear fusion reactions in stars. It also plays a crucial role in quantum tunneling in chemical reactions and radioactive decay.