Approximate transmission coefficient of a square barrier

In summary, the transmission coefficient for electrons of 7,000 meV is T(E)≈exp((-2/hbar)√(2m)∫√(U(x)-E)dx)
bobby.pdx

Homework Statement

Two conductors are separated by an insulator. Model the insulator as a square barrier of height 0.01 keV and a width of 5nm. Determine the transmission coefficients for electrons of 7,000 meV.

The only thing is I have to use the approximation formula for finding the transmission coefficient of a barrier with arbitrary shape.

Homework Equations

T(E)≈exp((-2/hbar)√(2m)∫√(U(x)-E)dx)

The Attempt at a Solution

T(E)≈exp((-2/1.973keVA/c)√(2(511keV/c))∫(U(x)-E)dx)

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do for the ∫(U(x)-E)dx part. I solved the problem using the formula for the transmission coefficient for a square barrier and I got T≈0.96x10^-38. I'm pretty certain this is correct because there was a very similar example in my book.

That formula had a (U-E) where I used 0.01keV-7000meV=.003keV

If I enter .003keV for U(x)-E then I would get ≈(.907)^x

And this is where I get stuck because I should somehow get an answer that is close to T≈0.96x10^-38
Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't U-E a constant, so you can bring it outside the integral ?

That's what I did. Still gave me the same answer

Can't see it being done. Not telepathic and not clearvoyant. Show what you do, so we can discuss it...

I showed you exactly what I did. The first calculation under "3. The Attempt at a Solution". I put 0.03keV for U-E and I entered it exactly like that into my calculator. I told you the answer I got and the answer I'm looking for. Not sure how I can be any more specific.

T(E)≈exp((-2/1.973keVA/c)√(2(511keV/c))∫(0.003keV)dx)=(0.907)^x

It should look like 0.96x10^-38

sorry I get exp(-.097x)

bobby.pdx said:
T(E)≈exp((-2/1.973keVA/c)√(2(511keV/c))∫(0.003keV)dx)=(0.907)^x

Did you drop a square root somewhere? Compare what you wrote here with your original expression in the "Relevant Equations" section.

Note, you wrote the units of the mass of the electron as kev/c. Is this correct?

I made a mistake in that calculation. The answer I got from that equation is actually exp(-.097x) which is still not correct. Also I meant to write the unit of mass as keV/c^2

I don't get .097. Again, did you drop a square root? I see a square root symbol occurring twice in

T(E)≈exp((-2/hbar)√(2m)∫√(U(x)-E)dx)

Oh you're completely right. Now I got (.169)^x. Now if I change 5nm to 50A I get (.169)^50=.287x10^-38. This is a way better answer even though it's not the same it's at least the same order of magnitude.

That's close to what I get, too. I get Exp[-1.77x] = Exp[-88.5] = .37x10-38

Last edited:
cool. thanks for the help

Related to Approximate transmission coefficient of a square barrier

1. What is the approximate transmission coefficient of a square barrier?

The approximate transmission coefficient of a square barrier is the probability that a particle will pass through the barrier when it encounters it.

2. How is the transmission coefficient of a square barrier calculated?

The transmission coefficient is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the energy of the particle and the height and width of the barrier.

3. What factors affect the approximate transmission coefficient of a square barrier?

The approximate transmission coefficient of a square barrier is affected by the energy of the particle, the height and width of the barrier, and the shape and material of the barrier.

4. Can the transmission coefficient of a square barrier be greater than 1?

No, the transmission coefficient of a square barrier cannot be greater than 1 as it represents a probability and probabilities cannot exceed 1.

5. How does the transmission coefficient of a square barrier change with increasing barrier height?

As the barrier height increases, the transmission coefficient decreases. This is because a higher barrier means a higher energy barrier for the particle to pass through, making it less likely to pass through the barrier.