Approximating a collection of particles as a liquid

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of small plastic BBs when they are in large numbers. The mass of the BBs resembles that of a liquid and can pour and flow like one. The concept of granular flow is brought up and it is noted that it is a field of study for many physicists. The conversation then delves into the specifics of this field, such as the "glass transition" and how to define a temperature in such systems. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the mechanical properties of tissue cells and their similarities to granular materials. Overall, the conversation highlights the complex and intriguing nature of these states of matter and the ongoing research to better understand them.
awygle
This may be hard to explain, but here goes...

Say you have one of those little plastic BBs. When there's just one, it behaves like a solid sphere (which it is). But if you have a large number of them, the mass sort of acts like a liquid - it pours and flows and similar things.

My questions are, what parameters affect whether this is a reasonable metaphor to adopt? Obviously number of particles, perhaps size and shape? Is this something other people think about, or is it just me?

Any thoughts appreciated, thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd venture a guess and say size of the particles, shape, size of the system, and a myriad of other factors.

awygle said:
This may be hard to explain, but here goes...

Say you have one of those little plastic BBs. When there's just one, it behaves like a solid sphere (which it is). But if you have a large number of them, the mass sort of acts like a liquid - it pours and flows and similar things.

My questions are, what parameters affect whether this is a reasonable metaphor to adopt? Obviously number of particles, perhaps size and shape? Is this something other people think about, or is it just me?

Any thoughts appreciated, thank you

google "granular flow". Lots of very good groups study that problem.

awygle said:
Is this something other people think about, or is it just me?

It's something many physicists are thinking about. Because the assembly isn't quite a liquid; you could obviously form piles of spheres that wouldn't spontaneously flatten out. So there's some agitation that's needed to obtain flow. On the other hand, the piles are barely solids, as en masse they're thousands or millions of times more compliant than the material that forms the individual spheres.

As Andy says, the field is called granular flow, and it's a challenging and exciting area of physics.

In a real liquid there are many more particles. I.e. a cup of BBs can have no more than 1 million particles, where as a cup of water has 10^25 or so.

Also energy behaves differently when it enters the system, i don't know how to explain.

Mapes said:
It's something many physicists are thinking about. Because the assembly isn't quite a liquid; you could obviously form piles of spheres that wouldn't spontaneously flatten out. So there's some agitation that's needed to obtain flow. On the other hand, the piles are barely solids, as en masse they're thousands or millions of times more compliant than the material that forms the individual spheres.

As Andy says, the field is called granular flow, and it's a challenging and exciting area of physics.

One interesting specific problem being studied is the 'glass transition'- how the glassy state forms, and is related to jamming.

Another interesting concept is how to define a temperature- the problem is most clear when discussing a monodisperse colloidal system of spheres. For example, there is a phase transition between fluid and crystal at a certain value of the volume fraction (0.58, IIRC)- how much volume is occupied by spheres. The volume fraction is then a proxy for thermodynamic temperature T, but clearly the volume fraction is unrelated to the temperature you would measure with a thermometer.

Andy Resnick said:
Another interesting concept is how to define a temperature- the problem is most clear when discussing a monodisperse colloidal system of spheres. For example, there is a phase transition between fluid and crystal at a certain value of the volume fraction (0.58, IIRC)- how much volume is occupied by spheres. The volume fraction is then a proxy for thermodynamic temperature T, but clearly the volume fraction is unrelated to the temperature you would measure with a thermometer.

Definitely tracking with you there - my recent work has been on the mechanical properties of tissue cells, another type of soft, disorganized "material". The creep compliance of cells scales as [itex]t^a[/itex], where [itex]a[/itex] is typically 0.1-0.3, and one interpretation is that the effective "temperature" in the cells (essentially, the agitation energy you describe) is 10-30% above a glass transition "temperature". Cells, as you likely know, lie in an intriguing intermediate position between elastic solids (whose creep compliance is [itex]\propto t^0[/itex], or constant) and fluids (whose creep compliance is [itex]\propto t^1[/itex]). It's exciting to watch these complex states of matter - cells, granular materials, and related states - become better understood.

Mapes said:
Definitely tracking with you there - my recent work has been on the mechanical properties of tissue cells, another type of soft, disorganized "material". The creep compliance of cells scales as [itex]t^a[/itex], where [itex]a[/itex] is typically 0.1-0.3, and one interpretation is that the effective "temperature" in the cells (essentially, the agitation energy you describe) is 10-30% above a glass transition "temperature". Cells, as you likely know, lie in an intriguing intermediate position between elastic solids (whose creep compliance is [itex]\propto t^0[/itex], or constant) and fluids (whose creep compliance is [itex]\propto t^1[/itex]). It's exciting to watch these complex states of matter - cells, granular materials, and related states - become better understood.

Very cool! Do you work in either Janmey's or Fredberg's groups?

Andy Resnick said:
Very cool! Do you work in either Janmey's or Fredberg's groups?

Neither of those, but I do follow the Fredberg group's output closely. Also Ben Fabry's cell rheology papers, which I think are outstanding.

Related to Approximating a collection of particles as a liquid

1. What does it mean to approximate a collection of particles as a liquid?

Approximating a collection of particles as a liquid is a way of simplifying the complex behavior of a large number of particles by treating them as a continuous, homogenous substance. This is based on the assumption that the particles are in constant motion and have strong interactions with each other, resulting in a fluid-like behavior.

2. What are the key characteristics of a liquid?

A liquid is a state of matter that has a fixed volume, but takes the shape of its container. It is also capable of flowing and has a relatively low density compared to solids and gases. Liquids also have a surface tension, which is the force that keeps the molecules of a liquid together at the surface.

3. How is the behavior of a liquid different from that of a solid or gas?

Liquids have a unique behavior that sets them apart from solids and gases. Unlike solids, they do not have a fixed shape and can flow and change shape easily. They also have a higher density compared to gases, which makes them less compressible. However, unlike gases, liquids have a fixed volume and do not expand to fill their container.

4. What are some real-world examples of liquids?

Liquids are all around us and are an essential part of our daily lives. Some common examples of liquids include water, milk, oil, juice, and vinegar. Other examples include liquid fuels like gasoline and liquid chemicals like bleach and ammonia. Many substances can exist in different states of matter depending on temperature and pressure, such as liquid nitrogen and liquid carbon dioxide.

5. How is the behavior of a liquid described mathematically?

The behavior of a liquid can be described mathematically using concepts from fluid mechanics, such as Bernoulli's principle and the Navier-Stokes equations. These equations take into account factors like pressure, viscosity, and surface tension to describe the flow and movement of a liquid. Other mathematical models, such as the Kinetic Theory of Gases, can also be used to approximate the behavior of liquids.

Back