Approximating E using Taylor's Formula when d/z is small

• Thread starter BraedenP
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses using Taylor's Formula to find an approximation for the given equation, with the assumption that z is much larger than d and therefore d/z is small. This means that (d/z)^2 can be approximated as zero.
BraedenP
What is a "Small" Number?

Homework Statement

I am given the equation, and asked to find an approximation (using Taylor's Formula):
[tex]E=\frac{q}{z^2(1-d/z)^2}-\frac{q}{z^2(1+d/z)^2}[/tex]
I am also told that I can assume "z is much larger than d, so d/z is small."

Does this mean that I can assume d/z = 0? This seems to be what that quote is suggesting.

Is this what it's referring to?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Nada.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

No, you can't put d/z=0. Saying d/z is 'small' means |d/z|<<1. So small that you can put (d/z)^2 approximately equal to zero. I.e. ignore it compared with d/z.

Related to Approximating E using Taylor's Formula when d/z is small

What is a Small Number?

A small number is a numerical value that is lower than the average or expected value in a given set of data. It is also known as a low number or a number that is close to zero.

How is a Small Number Different from a Large Number?

A small number is different from a large number in terms of magnitude. A small number has a lower numerical value compared to a large number, which has a higher numerical value.

What are Some Examples of Small Numbers?

Some examples of small numbers are 0.1, 0.001, 0.00001, and -5. These numbers are significantly lower than the average value in a given set of data.

Why are Small Numbers Important in Science?

Small numbers are important in science because they can represent values that are close to zero or have a low impact in a specific context. They are also useful in representing data that has a wide range of values.

How are Small Numbers Represented in Scientific Notation?

In scientific notation, small numbers are represented by a decimal number between 1 and 10 multiplied by a power of 10. For example, 0.0001 can be written as 1 x 10^-4 in scientific notation.