Approximating sin(1/10) using 3rd degree Taylor polynomial

In summary: In this case, the third-degree Taylor series of sin(x) centered at a = 0 is given by sin(x) = x - x^3/6, so the third-degree Taylor series for sin(1/10) is 1/10 - 1/10^3/6 = 1/10 - 1/600 = 599/6000. The error of this approximation can be calculated using the Lagrange remainder formula, but without knowing the specific range of x, it's difficult to provide an exact answer.
bfusco

Homework Statement

what is the 3rd degree taylor series of sin(1/10), and calculate the error of your answer.

the wording of this question may be a little off, i just took a test and this was what i remembered about the question.

The Attempt at a Solution

i didnt think that this was possible because sin(1/10) is a constant, so the derivative is 0, therefor when you write out the taylor series expansion f(a)+f'(a)(x-a)/n!... is simply sin(1/10) and the error ofcourse would be 0, but I am guessing I am wrong because of my uncertainty.

Physics news on Phys.org
##f'(a)## is telling you to evaluate ##f'(x)## at ##a##. Not to take the derivate of ##f(a)##.

So, ##f'(1/10) = \cos{(1/10)}##

Does that help clear it up?

bfusco said:

Homework Statement

what is the 3rd degree taylor series of sin(1/10), and calculate the error of your answer.

the wording of this question may be a little off, i just took a test and this was what i remembered about the question.

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't think that this was possible because sin(1/10) is a constant, so the derivative is 0, therefore, when you write out the taylor series expansion f(a)+f'(a)(x-a)/n!... is simply sin(1/10) and the error, of course, would be 0, but I'm guessing I'm wrong because of my uncertainty.
If the problem is worded as you've given it above, then your answer is correct, but it's more likely the problem was asking you to approximate sin(1/10) using a third-order Taylor polynomial.

Related to Approximating sin(1/10) using 3rd degree Taylor polynomial

What is a 3rd degree Taylor series?

A 3rd degree Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function that approximates the behavior of the function near a specific point. It is a polynomial function that is used to estimate the value of a function at a point by using the function's derivatives at that point.

How is a 3rd degree Taylor series calculated?

A 3rd degree Taylor series is calculated by using the function's derivatives at a specific point to create a polynomial function. The formula for a 3rd degree Taylor series is f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2 + f'''(a)(x-a)^3, where f'(a), f''(a), and f'''(a) are the first, second, and third derivatives of the function evaluated at the point a.

What is the purpose of using a 3rd degree Taylor series?

The purpose of using a 3rd degree Taylor series is to approximate the value of a function at a specific point. It can be used to calculate the value of a function at a point that is not easily calculable or to estimate the behavior of a function near a specific point.

What are the limitations of a 3rd degree Taylor series?

A 3rd degree Taylor series is limited by the accuracy of the function's derivatives at the point of approximation. If the function's derivatives are not known or are not accurate, the approximation may not be reliable. Additionally, a 3rd degree Taylor series can only approximate a function near a specific point and may not accurately represent the overall behavior of the function.

How is a 3rd degree Taylor series different from a Maclaurin series?

A 3rd degree Taylor series and a Maclaurin series are both types of Taylor series, but they differ in the point of approximation. A 3rd degree Taylor series approximates a function at a specific point, while a Maclaurin series approximates a function at the point 0. This means that a Maclaurin series only includes non-negative powers of x, while a 3rd degree Taylor series can include both positive and negative powers of x.