Approximating Solutions with Coefficients of $Y^m_\ell$

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coefficients
In summary, we can use the coefficients $A_{\ell,m}$ and the spherical harmonics $Y^m_{\ell}(\theta,\varphi)$ to expand $u(r,\theta,\varphi)$ and approximate the solution to be$$u(r,\theta,\phi)\simeq 25 + \frac{75\sqrt{2}}{2}r\sin\theta\cos\phi + \frac{125}{\pi}r^2\sin^2\theta\cos 2\phi.$$
Dustinsfl
Using the coefficients determined, combine the terms to arrive at the following approximation for the solution
$$
u(r,\theta,\phi)\simeq 25 + \frac{75\sqrt{2}}{2}r\sin\theta\cos\phi + \frac{125}{\pi}r^2\sin^2\theta\cos 2\phi.
$$

How do I combine them?

The coefficients are
For $\ell = 0$ and $m = 0$, we have
$$
Y^0_0(\theta,\varphi) = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\pi}}.
$$
For $\ell = 1$ and $m = 1$, we have
\begin{alignat*}{3}
Y^{1}_1 & = & -\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{3}{2\pi}}(\cos^2\theta - 1)^{1/2}e^{i\varphi}\\
& = & -\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{3}{2\pi}}e^{i\varphi} \sin\theta
\end{alignat*}
From $\ell = 1$ and $m = 1$, we can obtain
$$
Y^{-1}_1 = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{3}{2\pi}}e^{-i\varphi}\sin \theta.
$$
For $\ell = 1$ and $m = 0$, we have
$$
Y^0_1 = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2\sqrt{\pi}}\cos\theta.
$$
For $\ell = 2$ and $m = 2$, we have
\begin{alignat*}{3}
Y^{2}_2 & = & \frac{3}{4}\sqrt{\frac{5}{6\pi}}(\cos^2\theta - 1)e^{2i\varphi}\\
& = & \frac{3}{4}\sqrt{\frac{5}{6\pi}}e^{2i\varphi}\sin^2\theta
\end{alignat*}
From $\ell = 2$ and $m = 2$, we can obtain
\begin{alignat*}{3}
Y^{-2}_2 & = & \frac{3}{4}\sqrt{\frac{5}{6\pi}}e^{-2i\varphi}\sin^2 \theta.
\end{alignat*}
For $\ell = 2$ and $m = 1$, we have
\begin{alignat*}{3}
Y^{1}_2 & = & -\frac{3}{2}\sqrt{\frac{5}{6\pi}}e^{i\varphi}(\cos^2\theta - 1)^{1/2}\cos\theta\\
& = & -\frac{3}{2}\sqrt{\frac{5}{6\pi}}e^{i\varphi}\sin \theta \cos\theta
\end{alignat*}
From $\ell = 2$ and $m = 1$, we can obtain
\begin{alignat*}{3}
Y^{-1}_2 & = & \frac{3}{2}\sqrt{\frac{5}{6\pi}}e^{-i\varphi}\sin \theta \cos\theta.
\end{alignat*}
For $\ell = 2$ and $m = 0$, we have
$$
Y^0_{\ell} = \frac{1}{4}\sqrt{\frac{5}{2\pi}}(3\cos^2\theta - 1).
$$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
Using the coefficients determined, combine the terms to arrive at the following approximation for the solution
$$
u(r,\theta,\phi)\simeq 25 + \frac{75\sqrt{2}}{2}r\sin\theta\cos\phi + \frac{125}{\pi}r^2\sin^2\theta\cos 2\phi.
$$

How do I combine them?

The coefficients are
For $\ell = 0$ and $m = 0$, we have
$$
Y^0_0(\theta,\varphi) = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\pi}}.
$$
For $\ell = 1$ and $m = 1$, we have
\begin{alignat*}{3}
Y^{1}_1 & = & -\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{3}{2\pi}}(\cos^2\theta - 1)^{1/2}e^{i\varphi}\\
& = & -\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{3}{2\pi}}e^{i\varphi} \sin\theta
\end{alignat*}
From $\ell = 1$ and $m = 1$, we can obtain
$$
Y^{-1}_1 = \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{3}{2\pi}}e^{-i\varphi}\sin \theta.
$$
For $\ell = 1$ and $m = 0$, we have
$$
Y^0_1 = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2\sqrt{\pi}}\cos\theta.
$$
For $\ell = 2$ and $m = 2$, we have
\begin{alignat*}{3}
Y^{2}_2 & = & \frac{3}{4}\sqrt{\frac{5}{6\pi}}(\cos^2\theta - 1)e^{2i\varphi}\\
& = & \frac{3}{4}\sqrt{\frac{5}{6\pi}}e^{2i\varphi}\sin^2\theta
\end{alignat*}
From $\ell = 2$ and $m = 2$, we can obtain
\begin{alignat*}{3}
Y^{-2}_2 & = & \frac{3}{4}\sqrt{\frac{5}{6\pi}}e^{-2i\varphi}\sin^2 \theta.
\end{alignat*}
For $\ell = 2$ and $m = 1$, we have
\begin{alignat*}{3}
Y^{1}_2 & = & -\frac{3}{2}\sqrt{\frac{5}{6\pi}}e^{i\varphi}(\cos^2\theta - 1)^{1/2}\cos\theta\\
& = & -\frac{3}{2}\sqrt{\frac{5}{6\pi}}e^{i\varphi}\sin \theta \cos\theta
\end{alignat*}
From $\ell = 2$ and $m = 1$, we can obtain
\begin{alignat*}{3}
Y^{-1}_2 & = & \frac{3}{2}\sqrt{\frac{5}{6\pi}}e^{-i\varphi}\sin \theta \cos\theta.
\end{alignat*}
For $\ell = 2$ and $m = 0$, we have
$$
Y^0_{\ell} = \frac{1}{4}\sqrt{\frac{5}{2\pi}}(3\cos^2\theta - 1).
$$
I'm a bit confused about this one. The problem is very similar to using the dot product to separate terms. The usual
[tex]c_{nlm} = \int \psi^*_{nlm} u(r, \theta, \phi)~ d \tau[/tex]

For example, the constant term is going deal with [tex]\psi _{000}[/tex] since there are no radial or angular terms. But even [tex]\psi _{000}[/tex] is going to contain a [tex]e^{-Zr/a_0}[/tex] factor (assuming a Hydrogen-like wavefunction for the radial part) and there is no exponential factor in your function.

-Dan

topsquark said:
I'm a bit confused about this one. The problem is very similar to using the dot product to separate terms. The usual
[tex]c_{nlm} = \int \psi^*_{nlm} u(r, \theta, \phi)~ d \tau[/tex]

For example, the constant term is going deal with [tex]\psi _{000}[/tex] since there are no radial or angular terms. But even [tex]\psi _{000}[/tex] is going to contain a [tex]e^{-Zr/a_0}[/tex] factor (assuming a Hydrogen-like wavefunction for the radial part) and there is no exponential factor in your function.

-Dan

I am confuse too. I am not sure what I am supposed to do but that is the question verbatim.

dwsmith said:
I am confuse too. I am not sure what I am supposed to do but that is the question verbatim.
I figure it out.

dwsmith said:
I figure it out.
I'm curious about your solution. Could you post the general idea? (I had a thought this morning about expanding the "missing" exponential. I'm wondering if that was the right approach.)

-Dan

topsquark said:
I'm curious about your solution. Could you post the general idea? (I had a thought this morning about expanding the "missing" exponential. I'm wondering if that was the right approach.)

-Dan

I also had to use the spherical harmonics of the solution which wasn't apparent to me by the questions wording.

We ca expand our series out term by term
\begin{alignat*}{3}
u(r,\theta,\varphi) & = & \sum_{\ell = 0}^2\sum_{m = -\ell}^{\ell} A_{\ell,m}Y^m_{\ell}(\theta,\varphi).
\end{alignat*}
For $\ell = 0$, we have that $u(r,\theta,\varphi) = 25$.
For $\ell = 1$, we have that $u(r,\theta,\varphi) = 25 + r\frac{75}{\sqrt{2}}\sin\theta\frac{e^{i\varphi} + e^{-i\varphi}}{2}$.
Lastly, for $\ell = 2$, we have
$$
u(r,\theta,\varphi) = 25 + \frac{75r}{\sqrt{2}}\sin\theta\cos\varphi + \frac{125r^2}{\pi}\sin^2\theta\cos 2\varphi = 25 + \frac{75\sqrt{2}}{2}r\sin\theta\cos\phi + \frac{125}{\pi}r^2\sin^2\theta\cos 2\phi.
$$
That is, we can approximate $u(r,\theta,\varphi)$ when $\ell = 0,1,2$ to be
$$
$$

Related to Approximating Solutions with Coefficients of $Y^m_\ell$

What is the purpose of approximating solutions with coefficients of Y^m_\ell?

The purpose of approximating solutions with coefficients of Y^m_\ell is to simplify complex mathematical equations and make them easier to solve. This technique is commonly used in physics and engineering to model real-world systems and predict their behavior.

How do you calculate the coefficients of Y^m_\ell?

The coefficients of Y^m_\ell can be calculated using various methods, such as the Gram-Schmidt process or the Rodrigues formula. These methods involve manipulating the original equation to isolate the Y^m_\ell term and then solving for its coefficient using integration or other mathematical techniques.

What is the significance of the m and \ell in Y^m_\ell?

The m and \ell values in Y^m_\ell represent the angular momentum and angular position, respectively, in a spherical coordinate system. These values determine the shape and orientation of the solution and are crucial in accurately approximating the behavior of a system.

Can approximating solutions with coefficients of Y^m_\ell be used for any type of equation?

No, approximating solutions with coefficients of Y^m_\ell is primarily used for solving linear partial differential equations. However, it can also be applied to nonlinear equations under certain conditions and approximations.

What are some real-world applications of approximating solutions with coefficients of Y^m_\ell?

Approximating solutions with coefficients of Y^m_\ell has numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used to model the behavior of electromagnetic fields, heat transfer, fluid flow, and quantum mechanics phenomena. It is also used in image and signal processing to enhance and analyze data.