Arc Length Formula: Understanding the Proof

In summary: As long as $f'$ is continuous, this is true for all $x_i^*$.Hi Jason,From what I see, the arc length formula holds because the MVT guarantees that there exists an $x_i^* \in [x_{i-1},x_i]$ for all $i$. This means that the integral depends on the sample points $x_i^*$ - the sample points must be the same $x_i^*$ that the MVT guarantees. If the value of the integral depends on the sample points, how does the integral exist?In summary, the arc length formula holds because the MVT guarantees that there exists an $x_
Dethrone
I'm reading about Line Integrals, so I thought I'd review the proof for the arc length formula. However, there's something I don't quite understand about the proof that I either overlooked or understood before.View attachment 4468View attachment 4469

From what I see, the arc length formula holds because the MVT guarantees that there exists an $x_i^* \in [x_{i-1},x_i]$ for all $i$. This means that the integral depends on the sample points $x_i^*$ - the sample points must be the same $x_i^*$ that the MVT guarantees. If the value of the integral depends on the sample points, how does the integral exist?

Attachments

• arc lenght 1.PNG
    arc lenght 1.PNG
    13.4 KB · Views: 105
  • arc lenght 2.PNG
    arc lenght 2.PNG
    13.7 KB · Views: 102
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Rido12,

How does your book define the definite integral? There are various (but equivalent) formulations that used by different textbooks. It'll be helpful if you could show your book's definition.

From what I see though, my guess is that the formulation they use is the following. Let $f$ be a continuous function on $[a,b]$. Partition the interval $[a,b]$ into $n$ subintervals of equal length $\Delta x$ and choose a point $x_i^*$ from each subinterval. Then $\int_a^b f(x)\, dx$ is defined as $\lim\limits_{n\to \infty} \sum\limits_{i = 1}^n f(x_i^*)\, \Delta x$. If this is the formulation being used, then your question has to do why this formulation is well-defined, not about the arclength. The definition of the definite integral is independent of the choice of sample points, which can be proven by using the uniform continuity of $f$ on $[a,b]$.

Hi Euge,

In class, we were taught the partition definition of the definite integral, but the definition that the book uses is the following:

View attachment 4473

Yes, my question is the last sentence of yours. From the definition of the integral provided above, doesn't the arc length formula depend on the sample points chosen and thus, not integrable?

Attachments

• Definition.PNG
    Definition.PNG
    13.8 KB · Views: 79
The definition used matches the one I wrote. As long as $f'$ is continuous on $[a,b]$, so is $\sqrt{1 + (f')^2}$. So the Riemann sums $\sum\limits_{i = 1}^n \sqrt{1 + [f'(x_i^*)]^2}\,\Delta x$ converge to $\int_a^b \sqrt{1 + [f'(x)]^2}\, dx$.

FAQ: Arc Length Formula: Understanding the Proof

What is the arc length formula and why is it important?

The arc length formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the length of an arc on a circle. It is important because it allows us to find the precise measurement of a curved line, which is often necessary in fields such as engineering, physics, and geometry.

How is the arc length formula derived?

The arc length formula is derived using the concept of radians, which is a unit of measurement for angles. By dividing the circumference of a circle by its radius, we can determine the number of radians in one full rotation. This relationship is then used to derive the formula for arc length.

What are the key components of the arc length formula?

The key components of the arc length formula are the angle of the arc (measured in radians), and the radius of the circle. These values are used in the formula to determine the length of the arc.

Can the arc length formula be used for any type of curve?

No, the arc length formula is specifically designed for circles and circular arcs. It cannot be used to calculate the length of curves that are not circular in shape.

How is the arc length formula used in real-world applications?

The arc length formula has various real-world applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by a rotating object, determining the length of a curved road or track, and measuring the circumference of wheels or gears. It is also used in fields like astronomy, where it is used to calculate the distance between celestial bodies.

Back