Arc Length of y^2=4(x+4)^3 from x=0 to x=2

In summary, an arc length integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the length of a curve by breaking it down into small segments and adding their lengths. It differs from a regular integral, which is used for finding the area under a curve. Arc length integrals are commonly used in physics, engineering, and architecture to find the length of curved objects or paths. The formula for an arc length integral is L = ∫√(1+(dy/dx)^2) dx, and it can only be applied to continuous curves in a two-dimensional plane.
v0id19

Homework Statement

Find the arc length of the equation [tex]y^2=4(x+4)^3[/tex] from [tex]x=0[/tex] to [tex]x=2[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]L=\int_{a}^{b}\sqrt{1+f'(x)}dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]L=\int_{0}^{2}\sqrt{1+9(x+4)}dx[/tex]
which simplifies in to
[tex]L=\int_{0}^{2}\sqrt{9x+37}dx[/tex]
and I'm stuck there--how should i try to integrate that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Substitute u=9x+37?

oh. wow. thanks.
now i feel kinda dumb lol i was making it more complicated than i had to, trying trig sub and stuff.
so [tex]dx=\frac{du}{9}[/tex].
sweet.

FAQ: Arc Length of y^2=4(x+4)^3 from x=0 to x=2

1. What is an arc length integral?

An arc length integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the length of a curve. It involves breaking down the curve into small segments, finding their lengths, and then adding them up to get the total arc length.

2. How is an arc length integral different from a regular integral?

An arc length integral is specifically used for calculating the length of a curve, while a regular integral is used for finding the area under a curve. The formulas and methods for these two types of integrals are different.

3. When is an arc length integral used in real life?

Arc length integrals are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and architecture. They are particularly useful for finding the length of a curved object or path, such as a road, a roller coaster, or the trajectory of a projectile.

4. What is the formula for calculating an arc length integral?

The formula for an arc length integral is L = ∫√(1+(dy/dx)^2) dx, where L represents the arc length, dy/dx is the derivative of the curve, and the integral is taken over the desired interval.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using an arc length integral?

One limitation of using an arc length integral is that it can only be applied to continuous curves. This means that the curve must have a defined derivative at every point. Additionally, the formula assumes that the curve is located in a two-dimensional plane.

Back