Arc Length & Parametric Curves

In summary: You're right, I should have put it back in.Arc length for a curve on Cartesian coordinates is the integral from a to b of sqrt(1+(dy/dx)2) dx.What is the derivative of y=x2-4|x|-x?The derivative of y=x2-4|x|-x is x3/3-3/2x2+C on [-4,0) and x3/3-5/2x2+C on (0,4).
razored

Homework Statement

Find the length of the curve y=x^2-4|x|-x from x=-4 to x=4.

The Attempt at a Solution

I realized there is a corner at x=0 so i tried to get around this by pluggin in x for x>=0 and -x for x<0. However, my integrals don't match the answer.

http://texify.com/img/%5CLARGE%5C%21%5CLARGE%5C%21%5Cint_%7B-4%7D%5E%7B0%7D%20%5Csqrt%7B1%2B%282x-3%29%5E2%7D%20dx%20%2B%20%5Cint_0%5E%7B4%7D%20%5Csqrt%7B1%2B%282x-5%29%5E2%7D%20dx%20.gif

Which does not match the answer 19.56, what did I do wrong?

Also, when I do try to find arc length in parametric curves and often more that not, a curve repeats itself in a given interval. How do I detect this and avoid it to just find length of one cycle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How is this curve parametric? x and y are not functions of t.

Arc length for a curve on Cartesian coordinates is the integral from a to b of sqrt(1+(dy/dx)2) dx.

How are x2-3x and x2-5x derivatives of y=x2-4|x|-x? You are finding the arc length of a different curve: x3/3-3/2x2+C on [-4,0) and x3/3-5/2x2+C on (0,4].

If you were operating with parametric equations, Arc length for a curve is the integral from a to b of sqrt((dx/dt)2+(dy/dt)2) dt.

Last edited:
my mistake I was so intent on writing it up that i forgot to take derivative. I did not do this on the actual work when trying to solve this problem. About hte parametric curves(this one isn't), when I'm given an x=f(t) and y=g(t) to find it in an interval say [a,b] where it repeats in the interval [a,b] say a few times, how will i know when to break it up to find one length of the cycle?sorry about the confusion

razored said:
my mistake I was so intent on writing it up that i forgot to take derivative. I did not do this on the actual work when trying to solve this problem. About hte parametric curves(this one isn't), when I'm given an x=f(t) and y=g(t) to find it in an interval say [a,b] where it repeats in the interval [a,b] say a few times, how will i know when to break it up to find one length of the cycle?sorry about the confusion

No problem.

I would look at the behavior of the curve and look for the point where it begins to repeat itself. I would try to find an approximation of where it begins to do so and then solve the equations for a value of t where it does so.

Could you post an example of such a curve? That would help me in understanding exactly what you want, and it would give me something to work with to get you a better answer on what to do.

If the case is a parametric function that moves to a value and then repeats along itself, find the endpoint. It may be a max min; try finding a value for which dy/dx=0.

jhae2.718 said:
No problem.

I would look at the behavior of the curve and look for the point where it begins to repeat itself. I would try to find an approximation of where it begins to do so and then solve the equations for a value of t where it does so.

Could you post an example of such a curve? That would help me in understanding exactly what you want, and it would give me something to work with to get you a better answer on what to do.

If the case is a parametric function that moves to a value and then repeats along itself, find the endpoint. It may be a max min; try finding a value for which dy/dx=0.

x=cos(3t)
y=sin(3t)

x interval [-1,1]

razored said:

Homework Statement

Find the length of the curve y=x^2-4|x|-x from x=-4 to x=4.

The Attempt at a Solution

I realized there is a corner at x=0 so i tried to get around this by pluggin in x for x>=0 and -x for x<0. However, my integrals don't match the answer.

http://texify.com/img/%5CLARGE%5C%21%5CLARGE%5C%21%5Cint_%7B-4%7D%5E%7B0%7D%20%5Csqrt%7B1%2B%282x-3%29%5E2%7D%20dx%20%2B%20%5Cint_0%5E%7B4%7D%20%5Csqrt%7B1%2B%282x-5%29%5E2%7D%20dx%20.gif

Which does not match the answer 19.56, what did I do wrong?

To deal with the corner, we split y=x2-4|x|-x into a piecewise function:
y=x2+4x-x=x2+3x on (-inf,0)
and
y=x2-4x-x=x2-5x on (0,inf)

Remember, |x|=-x, -inf<x<0 and x, 0<x<inf

You incorrectly removed the absolute value term. This should give you the correct answer when you take Sa0sqrt(1+(dy/dx)2)dx+S0bsqrt(1+(dy/dx)2)dx.

Can't believe I missed that.

Last edited by a moderator:
razored said:
x=cos(3t)
y=sin(3t)

x interval [-1,1]

Looking at the graph of x=cos(3t) and y-sin(3t) on a t interval beginning at 0 and ending at some c such that the graph traces over itself, we notice that at t=0 the graph is located at (1,0) in Cartesian coordinates. Thus, the graph will repeat itself the next time x=1.

Thus, we set x=cos(3t)=1. Solving for t, the first solution we get greater than 0 is the upper limit of integration. Then we take find the arc length from 0 to that value.

FAQ: Arc Length & Parametric Curves

1. What is arc length?

Arc length is the measure of the distance along a curve, from one point to another. It is calculated by integrating the square root of the sum of the squares of the derivatives of the parametric equations.

2. How do you find the arc length of a parametric curve?

The arc length of a parametric curve can be found by using the formula:
L = ∫ab √[(∄x/∄t)2 + (∄y/∄t)2] dt
where a and b are the start and end values of the parameter t.

3. Can the arc length of a parametric curve be negative?

No, the arc length of a parametric curve cannot be negative. It represents a physical distance and therefore must be positive.

4. What is the relationship between arc length and parametric curves?

Arc length and parametric curves are related because parametric curves are defined by a set of parametric equations, which can be used to calculate the arc length of the curve. The parametric equations provide a way to describe the curve in terms of a parameter t, which makes it possible to calculate the arc length using integration.

5. What are some real-life applications of arc length and parametric curves?

Arc length and parametric curves have many applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. For example, they are used in designing roller coasters, analyzing the motion of objects in space, and creating 3D animations and simulations. They are also useful in calculating the length of paths taken by moving objects, such as the trajectory of a projectile.