Are all continuous bijections homeomorphisms?

• Thread starter lugita15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuous
In summary: No, take f : R discrete -> R Euclidean which maps x -> x, then f is obviously bijective, and it's continuous because every set is open in the domain, but for the inverse function, the pre-image of a singleton set is a singleton set which is not open in the euclidean topology. I don't really understand what you're saying, although I gather it has something to do with category theory. Anyway, does what you said lead to additional examples of continuous bijections between metric spaces whose inverses are not continuous?No, take f : R discrete -> R Euclidean which maps x -> x, then f is obviously bijective
lugita15
If f is a continuous bijection from a metric space M to a metric space N, is the inverse function of f necessarily continuous?

My intuition tells me no; it seems like there could be a continuous bijection f whose inverse exists but is not continuous. Intuitively, I see two spaces being homeomorphic as a stronger condition than the existence of a continuous bijection between them.

I tried proving that the inverse of f must be continuous, but I couldn't.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, take f : R discrete -> R Euclidean which maps x -> x, then f is obviously bijective, and it's continuous because every set is open in the domain, but for the inverse function, the pre-image of a singleton set is a singleton set which is not open in the euclidean topology.

The standard counter-example is the map [0,1)->S^1 given by [itex]t\mapsto \exp(2\pi i t)[/itex].

You might like to prove the following: let [tex]X[/tex] be compact and [tex]Y[/tex] Hausdorff, then if [tex]f:X\rightarrow Y[/tex] is bijective and continuous, then it is a homeomorphism.

Landau said:
The standard counter-example is the map [0,1)->S^1 given by [itex]t\mapsto \exp(2\pi i t)[/itex].
Is that a bijection? Isn't this function periodic, and hence not one-to-one?

Instead of asking, try to prove it yourself. To prove that it would not be injective, you need to find distinct t_1 and t_2 in [0,1) such that f(t_1)=f(t_2) (if I call the function f). Can you find them?

Landau said:
Instead of asking, try to prove it yourself. To prove that it would not be injective, you need to find distinct t_1 and t_2 in [0,1) such that f(t_1)=f(t_2) (if I call the function f). Can you find them?
f(0)=1, f(1)=1

With [0,1) I meant the interval EXcluding 1, i.e.

[tex][0,1):=\{x\in\mathbb{R}: 0\leq x<1\}.[/tex]

Landau said:
With [0,1) I meant the interval EXcluding 1, i.e.

[tex][0,1):=\{x\in\mathbb{R}: 0\leq x<1\}.[/tex]
Oh sorry, I didn't notice you had restricted the domain.

Well, that is the point of this example: the inverse of this map sends the point 1 (of the complex unit circle S^1) to 0, and and the point just 'below' 1 to 1-e for small e. In other words, the inverse 'jumps' from values arbitrarily close to 1, to 0. Hence is not continuous.

there are several standard examples where bijective morphisms are isomorphisms: vector spaces, banach spaces, compact hausdorff spaces, groups, rings, normal algebraic varieties.

These give rise to some examples of bijective maps which may not be isomorphisms: singular algebraic curves, and arbitrary topological spaces.

mathwonk said:
there are several standard examples where bijective morphisms are isomorphisms: vector spaces, banach spaces, compact hausdorff spaces, groups, rings, normal algebraic varieties.

These give rise to some examples of bijective maps which may not be isomorphisms: singular algebraic curves, and arbitrary topological spaces.
I don't really understand what you're saying, although I gather it has something to do with category theory. Anyway, does what you said lead to additional examples of continuous bijections between metric spaces whose inverses are not continuous?

FAQ: Are all continuous bijections homeomorphisms?

1. What is a continuous bijection?

A continuous bijection is a function that is both one-to-one (injective) and onto (surjective) and preserves the topological structure of the domain and range. This means that it maps points that are close together to points that are also close together.

2. What is a homeomorphism?

A homeomorphism is a function between two topological spaces that is continuous, bijective, and has a continuous inverse. In simpler terms, it is a function that preserves the topological properties of the spaces it maps between, such as continuity, connectedness, and compactness.

3. How are continuous bijections and homeomorphisms related?

A continuous bijection is a function that is both one-to-one and onto, while a homeomorphism is a function that is continuous, bijective, and has a continuous inverse. Therefore, all homeomorphisms are continuous bijections, but not all continuous bijections are homeomorphisms.

4. Are all continuous functions homeomorphisms?

No, not all continuous functions are homeomorphisms. A continuous function may be one-to-one and onto, but it may not have a continuous inverse, which is necessary for a function to be a homeomorphism.

5. What is an example of a continuous bijection that is not a homeomorphism?

An example of a continuous bijection that is not a homeomorphism is the function f: [0, 2π) → S^1 defined by f(t) = (cos t, sin t), where S^1 is the unit circle in the Cartesian plane. This function is one-to-one and onto, but its inverse is not continuous, as it maps the points (1, 0) and (-1, 0) to the same point on the domain.