Are All Countable Sets Compact? Proof or Counterexample Required.

In summary: Just focus on the definition of a closed set.In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of two propositions and how to prove or disprove them. The first proposition, stating that an arbitrary intersection of compact sets is compact, is proven to be true using the Heine-Borel theorem. The second proposition, claiming that a countable set is always compact, is disproven by providing a counterexample. The conversation then shifts to discussing the topology of the real line and how to prove that intersections of closed sets are closed. It is concluded that the key is to prove that every subset of a bounded set is bounded.
cragar

Homework Statement

Decide whether the following propositions are true or false. If the claim is valid supply a short proof, and if the claim is false provide a counterexample.
a) An arbitrary intersection of compact sets is compact.
b)A countable set is always compact.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) If I took an infinite amount of intersections of closed intervals of the real line, I could get a set that is not bounded, And by the Heine-Borel theorem a set is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded.
b) The set of naturals is countable but not bounded so again by the Heine-Borel theorem this is not true.

Physics news on Phys.org
You may have confused intersection with union in 3a. An intersection of intervals is smaller than (in the sense of being a subset of) any of the intervals. 3b is OK, if you're only supposed to prove it for subsets of ℝ.

Are those statements about subsets of ℝ, subsets of an arbitrary metric space, subsets of an arbitrary Hausdorff space, or subsets of an arbitrary topological space?

ok so for 3a) if we had the intersection of [0,1] and [1,2] the intersection would just be the point 1. I guess this could be the constant sequence 1, so maybe the statement is true. Since the sequences are bounded they would have convergent sub sequences.
We are proving these things for subsets of the real line. And we are studying the topology of the real line.

OK, in that case, you just need to prove that every intersection of compact sets is closed and bounded. This is very easy. (Use what you know about intersections of closed sets).

So I need to prove that intersections of closed sets are closed.
So i basically need to prove that any subset of a closed set is closed.
We know that these sets are bounded. So we know because they are bounded that they contain a convergent sub sequence. So I guess I need to prove that the limit point is part of the set.

cragar said:
So I need to prove that intersections of closed sets are closed.
Yes.

cragar said:
So i basically need to prove that any subset of a closed set is closed.
No. This isn't true. ℝ is closed, but the set of positive real numbers is not. It's not hard to come up with lots of other examples.

On the other hand, if you prove that every subset of a bounded set is bounded, that would be useful.

cragar said:
We know that these sets are bounded. So we know because they are bounded that they contain a convergent sub sequence. So I guess I need to prove that the limit point is part of the set.
No need to talk about subsequences if your goal is to prove that intersections of closed sets are closed.

Related to Are All Countable Sets Compact? Proof or Counterexample Required.

1. What are compact sets?

Compact sets are a fundamental concept in topology, a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of space. In simple terms, a compact set is a set that is closed and bounded, meaning it contains all its limit points and can be enclosed in a finite region.

2. How are compact sets different from other types of sets?

Unlike other types of sets, compact sets have the property of being both closed and bounded. This means that they contain all their limit points and can be enclosed in a finite region, making them useful for studying continuity and convergence in mathematics.

3. What are some examples of compact sets?

Examples of compact sets include closed intervals on the real number line, such as [0,1], and closed disks in the Cartesian plane. In general, any set that is both closed and bounded in a topological space is considered a compact set.

4. What are the main properties of compact sets?

The main properties of compact sets include being closed and bounded, having a finite number of elements, and being compact in any topological space in which they are contained. They also have the property of being sequentially compact, meaning every sequence within the set has a convergent subsequence.

5. How are compact sets used in scientific research?

Compact sets are used in various scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and economics, to study continuity, convergence, and other concepts related to space and limit points. They also have applications in computer science, particularly in algorithms and data structures.