Are Events A and B Independent Based on Given Probabilities?

In summary, P(A) = .6, P(A-complement | B) = .4, and using the given equations, we can determine that events A and B are dependent.
frankfjf

Homework Statement

Suppose P(A) = .6, P([tex]\overline{A}[/tex] | B) = .4. Check whether events A and B are independent.

Homework Equations

Two events A and B are said to be independent if P(A|B) = P(A). This is equivalent to stating that P(A [tex]\cap[/tex] B) = P(A)P(B)

If A and B are any two events, then the conditional probability of A given B, denoted by P(A | B), is P(A | B) = [tex]\frac{P(A \cap B)}{P(B)}[/tex] provided P(B) > 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that P([tex]\overline{A}[/tex]) = 1 - P(A) = .4

However, I'm not sure how to use the information given to check for independence. The professor says the solution should be very brief, but it's not coming to me.

Thinking on it a little more and looking it up online, it would seem that if P(A|B) = P(A) means A and B are independent, but P([tex]\overline{A}[/tex]) != P(A), then A and B are dependent. But I'm not sure if this logic is correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have P(A-complement | B) - it should be very simple to obtain P(A | B) from it.

Note: couldn't get the \bar{A} construct to work in Latex.

But that's my problem, how do I use that information to get P(A | B)?

frankfjf said:
But that's my problem, how do I use that information to get P(A | B)?

What do you get when you add P(A) to P(A-complement)? the same result works with P(A |B) and P(A-complement | B).

I get 1. So P(A | B) + P(A-complement | B) = P(A|B) + .4 = 1... P(A | B) = .6?

Related to Are Events A and B Independent Based on Given Probabilities?

1. What is the purpose of using statistics in computer science?

Statistics is used in computer science to analyze data and make informed decisions. It helps in identifying patterns, trends, and relationships in large datasets, which can then be used to develop algorithms, improve machine learning models, and make predictions.

2. How is statistics applied in computer science?

Statistics is applied in computer science through various techniques such as regression analysis, hypothesis testing, and data visualization. These techniques help in understanding and interpreting data, identifying outliers, and making predictions based on the data.

3. What are some common statistical tools used in computer science?

Some common statistical tools used in computer science include Python libraries like NumPy and Pandas, R programming language, and statistical software such as SPSS and SAS. These tools provide a wide range of functions and algorithms for data analysis and visualization.

4. How can statistics help in solving problems in computer science?

Statistics can help in solving problems in computer science by providing a systematic approach to analyzing data and making decisions based on evidence. It can also identify potential issues or errors in algorithms and models, leading to more accurate and efficient solutions.

5. Can statistics be used in any branch of computer science?

Yes, statistics can be applied in any branch of computer science, including artificial intelligence, data science, computer vision, and cybersecurity. It is a fundamental tool for analyzing and interpreting data, and its applications are constantly expanding as technology advances.