Are Feynman's Equations on Superconductivity Valid?

In summary, there is experimental evidence for validity of these equations, but it is limited to the case of a constant electric field.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
In the last chapter of "Feynman Lectures on Physics" part III, Feynman discusses superconductivity. I am particularly intrigued by his equations (21.19) and (21.31), and even more by (21.38). Is there any experimental evidence for validity of these equations?

The question of validity of these equations is particularly important for foundations of quantum mechanics:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=448366

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you could write down the formulas for our convenience? Thank you.

Well, it is important to understand the whole context in which the equations are derived. Therefore, it would be better to read the whole section in the book. The book itself is well known, so I assume that most serious physicists have it.

Let me just say that the equations describe the velocity (describing the electron current in a superconductor) and acceleration of electrons as a function of the wave function and the external electromagnetic field. In particular, the velocity has one term proportional to the electromagnetic potential and another term proportional to the divergence of the phase of the wave function. The acceleration has a classical term and a quantum correction that strongly depends on the wave function.

Last edited:
These equations (as well as the rest of the chapter) are just what I guess you could call "classical" (pre-BCS) supeconductivity, so yes their validity were verified ages ago (21.19 is what you use to derive the Meissner effect).
However, thyey do not give a correct microscopic description of superconductivity, I am too tired to read the whole chapter now; but Feymann is -as far as I remember-mainly just using the two-fluid model.
You can find more information in one of the standard texts about superonductivity (e.g. Tinkham)

f95toli said:
so yes their validity were verified ages ago (21.19 is what you use to derive the Meissner effect).
(21.19) is relatively trivial when the electric field is constant. But is (21.19) tested for the case of a non-constant (either in space or time) field? And what about a test of (21.38)?

Related to Are Feynman's Equations on Superconductivity Valid?

1. What is superconductivity and how did Feynman contribute to its study?

Superconductivity is a phenomenon where certain materials can conduct electricity with zero resistance at very low temperatures. Richard Feynman was a Nobel Prize-winning physicist who made significant contributions to the understanding of superconductivity through his work on quantum mechanics and the BCS theory of superconductivity.

2. How does superconductivity work?

Superconductivity occurs when electrons pair up and move through a material without any resistance. This is possible because the paired electrons are able to move in a coordinated manner, allowing for the flow of electricity without any energy loss.

3. What are the potential applications of superconductivity?

The zero resistance and high energy efficiency of superconductors make them useful for a variety of applications, including MRI machines, particle accelerators, and power transmission lines. Superconductors also have the potential to revolutionize technologies such as transportation, energy storage, and quantum computing.

4. What are the challenges in achieving practical applications of superconductivity?

One of the main challenges in utilizing superconductivity for practical applications is the need for extremely low temperatures. Most superconductors only exhibit their properties at near absolute zero temperatures, which makes it difficult and expensive to create and maintain the necessary conditions for superconductivity to occur.

5. How has Feynman's work on superconductivity influenced current research in the field?

Feynman's contributions to the understanding of superconductivity have had a lasting impact on the study of this phenomenon. His work on the BCS theory provided a theoretical framework for understanding the behavior of superconductors, and his insights continue to guide and inspire current research efforts in the field.

Back