Are Finite Families of Closed Sets Closed?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that the union of a finite family of closed sets is also closed. The main strategies suggested include using the definition of closed sets (complement is open) and proving that the complement of the union is open, or using the definition of open sets (all elements are interior points) to show that the elements of the union are also interior points.
shanepitts

Homework Statement

Let {Ei: 1≤i≤n} be a finite family of closed sets. Then ∪i=1n Ei is closed.

Homework Equations

Noting that (Ei)c is open

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I have no idea where to start.

I tried to demonstrate that Eai≥Ei if a is a constant greater than zero. Then showing that Eai is closed which means that Ei is closed.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is easiest to do if you instead try showing that, if [itex]E_i[/itex] are open sets, where [itex] 1 \leqslant i \leqslant n[/itex], then [itex]\bigcap_{i=1}^{n} E_{i}[/itex] is open, which pretty much follows from the definition of an open set.

You can then take complements and you're done.

Likes shanepitts and Greg Bernhardt
When you have more experience with proofs, you will find it very easy to see where to start in problems like this. There's a statement P that you're supposed to use to prove a statement Q. In this situation, you should almost always ask yourself what the definitions of the terms in statement Q are telling you that statement Q means.

What does it mean to say that ##\bigcup_{i=1}^n E_i## is closed? The answer depends on your definition of closed. The most common definition is "a set is said to be closed if its complement is open". If that's your definition, the answer is: ##\left(\bigcup_{i=1}^n E_i\right)^c## is open. The proof of that is rather trivial, if you know the most basic theorems.

If you're working with metric spaces, perhaps your definition of closed is something else, e.g. "a set E is said to be closed if the limit of every convergent sequence in E is in E". Then the definition suggests another strategy: Start by saying "Let ##(x_n)_{n=1}^n## be a convergent sequence in ##\bigcup_{i=1}^n E_i##". Then try to prove that ##\lim_n x_n\in \bigcup_{i=1}^n E_i##.

Likes shanepitts
As both FedExLatex and Fredrick said, how you prove something often depends on how it is defined! Exactly how are open and closed sets defined in your course?

Likes shanepitts
Fredrik said:
When you have more experience with proofs, you will find it very easy to see where to start in problems like this. There's a statement P that you're supposed to use to prove a statement Q. In this situation, you should almost always ask yourself what the definitions of the terms in statement Q are telling you that statement Q means.

What does it mean to say that ##\bigcup_{i=1}^n E_i## is closed? The answer depends on your definition of closed. The most common definition is "a set is said to be closed if its complement is open". If that's your definition, the answer is: ##\left(\bigcup_{i=1}^n E_i\right)^c## is open. The proof of that is rather trivial, if you know the most basic theorems.

If you're working with metric spaces, perhaps your definition of closed is something else, e.g. "a set E is said to be closed if the limit of every convergent sequence in E is in E". Then the definition suggests another strategy: Start by saying "Let ##(x_n)_{n=1}^n## be a convergent sequence in ##\bigcup_{i=1}^n E_i##". Then try to prove that ##\lim_n x_n\in \bigcup_{i=1}^n E_i##.
HallsofIvy said:
As both FedExLatex and Fredrick said, how you prove something often depends on how it is defined! Exactly how are open and closed sets defined in your course?

Here are the definitions my professor provided us
definition.png

Okay,, a set is closed if and only if its complement if open. That was the first definition Fredrick gave. I notice you did NOT define "open set". In general "point set" topology, a "topology" for a set, X is a collection of subsets of X such that, X itself is in the collection, the empty set is in the collection, the union of any number of sets in the collection is also in the collection and the intersection of any finite number of sets in the collection is also in the set. To show that "the union of a finite number of closed sets is closed", using that definition, you have to show that its complement is open. To do that you can use the fact that [itex]\left(\cup_{n} A_n\right)^c= \cap_{n}A_n^c[/itex].

Likes shanepitts
HallsofIvy said:
Okay,, a set is closed if and only if its complement if open. That was the first definition Fredrick gave. I notice you did NOT define "open set". In general "point set" topology, a "topology" for a set, X is a collection of subsets of X such that, X itself is in the collection, the empty set is in the collection, the union of any number of sets in the collection is also in the collection and the intersection of any finite number of sets in the collection is also in the set. To show that "the union of a finite number of closed sets is closed", using that definition, you have to show that its complement is open. To do that you can use the fact that [itex]\left(\cup_{n} A_n\right)^c= \cap_{n}A_n^c[/itex].

Thank you, this helps a great deal

cheers

Since the definitions you quoted specifically mentioned ##\mathbb R^n##, rather than some arbitrary topological space, it's very likely that your book's definition of open is "a set E is said to be open if every element of E is an interior point of E". This should tell you how to proceed with the proof.

Likes shanepitts

Related to Are Finite Families of Closed Sets Closed?

What does it mean for a set to be open or closed?

In mathematics, a set is considered open if every point in the set has a neighborhood contained entirely within the set. A set is considered closed if it contains all of its limit points. In simpler terms, an open set does not include its boundary points, while a closed set does.

How do you prove that a set is open?

To prove that a set is open, you must show that every point in the set has a neighborhood contained entirely within the set. This can be done by defining a distance between points in the set and showing that this distance is less than the distance to any points outside of the set. You can also use the concept of open balls to prove openness.

How do you prove that a set is closed?

To prove that a set is closed, you must show that it contains all of its limit points. This can be done by showing that every sequence of points in the set converges to a point in the set. Another way to prove closure is to show that the complement of the set is open.

Can a set be both open and closed?

Yes, a set can be both open and closed. Such sets are called clopen sets. An example of a clopen set is the empty set, which does not contain any points and therefore does not have any boundary points.

Why is it important to prove the openness and closedness of a set?

Proving that a set is open or closed is important because it helps us understand the properties and behavior of the set. It also allows us to make conclusions about the set's limit points, convergence, and connectedness. These concepts are essential in various areas of mathematics, such as analysis, topology, and differential equations.