Are Gravity Waves Rare? Understanding the Elusive Phenomenon

In summary, gravity waves are rare, they are produced when anything changes shape, and they don't have anything to do with meteorology.
Awsom Guy
Are gravity waves rare?
I don't I've ever seen them so any help will be good, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Awsom Guy! :smile:

If gravity waves exist, they're extremely common (they're produced whenever anything changes shape), but they're also extremely weak, and extremely difficult to detect. :wink:
Awsom Guy said:
Does gravity waves have anything to do with meteorology? Because gravity waves has something to do with the atmosphere and so does meteorology.

No, gravity waves have nothing to do with the atmosphere, they come from extremely distant sources

(and they don't affect the atmosphere … any bad weather you're experiencing is entirely the fault of the government :wink:)

Last edited:
I quote from wikipedia "In the Earth's atmosphere, gravity waves are important for transferring momentum from the troposphere to the stratosphere". Are you sure they have nothing to do with atmosphere. Thanks for any help.

Awsom Guy said:
I quote from wikipedia "In the Earth's atmosphere, gravity waves are important for transferring momentum from the troposphere to the stratosphere". Are you sure they have nothing to do with atmosphere. Thanks for any help.

oh, i thought you mean gravitational waves …

i've never heard of those "gravity waves" before …

whyever are they called that? :confused:

Thats ok, is you above statement wrong "If gravity waves exist, they're extremely common (they're produced whenever anything changes shape), but they're also extremely weak, and extremely difficult to detect". Yes a lot of people get themselves confused with gravitational and gravity waves, and I think so does google. :O

They are called that because they are just like ripples in water. but gravity in gravity waves confuses everyone as it does not have much to do with gravity waves :D

Thanks for trying.

Awsom Guy said:
Are gravity waves rare?
I don't I've ever seen them so any help will be good, thanks.

The waves you see on the surface of anybody of water are "gravity waves". They are called that because gravity wants to make the surface flat, so a disturbance propagates as the falling peak just builds up water somewhere else.

Don't confuse "gravity wave" with "gravitational wave". The latter is what makes binary neutron stars spiral together.

Another thing people get confused about is "holograph" with "hologram". A museum might have a 200 year old holograph on display, but it has nothing to do with lasers <g>.

oh wow, thanks for the information on holographs. I thought they were the same thing. damn. Thanks heaps.

Related to Are Gravity Waves Rare? Understanding the Elusive Phenomenon

What are gravity waves?

Gravity waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by the acceleration of massive objects, such as black holes or supernovae. They were first predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity in 1916.

How are gravity waves detected?

Gravity waves are typically detected using large and sensitive instruments known as gravitational wave detectors. These detectors use lasers and mirrors to measure tiny changes in the distance between objects caused by the passing of a gravity wave.

What is the significance of detecting gravity waves?

The detection of gravity waves provides evidence for the existence of black holes and other massive objects, as well as confirming the predictions of Einstein's theory of general relativity. It also opens up new opportunities for studying the universe and understanding its evolution.

What are some potential applications of gravity wave research?

Gravity wave research has the potential to lead to advancements in fields such as astronomy, astrophysics, and cosmology. It may also have practical applications in areas such as communication and navigation technology.

What challenges are involved in studying gravity waves?

Studying gravity waves presents many challenges, including the need for extremely sensitive instruments, distinguishing between different sources of gravity waves, and the complex nature of the waves themselves. Additionally, the study of gravity waves is still a relatively new field, so there is much that is still unknown and requires further research.