Are Human Database -related jobs going to Dissapear?

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
New program Postgres.new ( link in post below) , allows the creation of full-fledged, complex databases , schemas, etc., through a mix of natural language and AI. Querying these databases is similarly user-friendly.
Hi, new tool, Postgres.new
https://postgres.new/
Allows the creation of databases, schemas, tables; the querying of said tables, through natural language and some AI.
Will there be a need for many current database-related jobs? @jedishrfu @newjerseyrunner

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Database management is a funny kind of job. You are like a caretaker of the database while it is in production mode:

- doing periodic backups
- developing disaster recovery plans
- managing backup storage
- optimizing database usage
- security management and database credentials
- investigating slowdowns
- investigating data corruption or accidental deletion of data
- security management
- working with developers to make better schemas for the business
- maintaining detailed (ISO 9000 compliant) plans and procedures for all facets of database management
- setting up new hardware for database expansion

I'm sure some of their work can be helped by AI, but more in an advisory mode, where the AI might assist in diagnosing an issue and then provide recommendations to resolve it.

However, I think most, if not all, companies would want a full-time person at the helm and not an AI who decides how to handle backups and other critical tasks such as database recovery.

Likes WWGD
While AI might be a good tool for starting a database, I think that there will still be a lot of work for humans to control and perfect the AI results. If the results are fast and reliable there might even be more demand for humans to work on it.

PS. I was "tweaking" assembly code and auto-generated C code up to the day I retired.