Are logarithms only non-negative?

• Thread starter mileena
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary, the logarithm function can be defined for all nonzero real numbers, but this requires complex number theory and is not typically taught in high school. The book Pre-Calculus for Dummies states that all logarithms and bases are non-negative, but this may not always be the case in advanced mathematics. It is recommended to stick to the general theory for now and explore the more complex concepts later.
mileena
I read that logb x exists only when x >= 0

what about log-3 -27 though?

The answer should be the exponent 3, right?

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can define the logarithm for all nonzero real numbers. But this requires complex number theory. So it's not suitable for high school.

micromass said:
You can define the logarithm for all nonzero real numbers. But this requires complex number theory. So it's not suitable for high school.

Thanks, I read the above though in the book Pre-Calculus for Dummies. It said all logarithms and bases were non-negative. I'm not that good on trigonometry or pre-calc.

mileena said:
Thanks, I read the above though in the book Pre-Calculus for Dummies. It said all logarithms and bases were non-negative. I'm not that good on trigonometry or pre-calc.

Yeah. So for now just take it as given that the bases are nonnegative. You might see the more general theory later.

Thank you. I will take your advice. Any less work for me is a good thing!

FAQ: Are logarithms only non-negative?

1. What are logarithms?

Logarithms are mathematical functions that are the inverse of exponential functions. They are used to solve equations involving exponents and can also be used to compare values that vary exponentially.

2. Can logarithms only be used for non-negative values?

No, logarithms can be used for both positive and negative values. However, some logarithm rules and properties only apply to positive values, so it is important to consider the context in which logarithms are being used.

3. Why do we use logarithms?

Logarithms are useful in many areas of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology. They allow us to simplify complex equations, compare values that vary exponentially, and measure the intensity of phenomena such as earthquakes and sound waves.

4. Are logarithms only used in science?

No, logarithms are also used in other fields such as economics, finance, and computer science. In economics, logarithms are used to calculate compound interest, while in computer science they are used to measure the complexity of algorithms.

5. How do we calculate logarithms?

There are different methods for calculating logarithms, but the most common way is to use a calculator or computer program. Some logarithm rules and properties can also be used to simplify calculations. Additionally, there are tables and charts available that provide the values of common logarithms.