Are longitudinal magnetic waves possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of longitudinal magnetic waves and the use of Maxwell's equations, Lorentz force, and electromagnetic waves in plasma to analyze this concept. The participants have different opinions on the possibility of these waves and offer suggestions for further research and analysis. The question does not specify any constraints, leaving room for exploration and discussion. The conversation highlights the need for mathematical proof and provides resources for further study.
Samuel Williams

Homework Statement

Are longitudinal magnetic waves possible? Give reasons for your answer.

Homework Equations

Working with Maxwell's equations, Lorentz force, electrostatic and electromagnetic waves in plasma.

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea whatsoever. I believe it is possible based on articles read on the matter, but have no idea how to prove it mathematically (or disprove if not possible). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the question constrain you to the far-field radiation only?

berkeman said:
Does the question constrain you to the far-field radiation only?
Not that I am aware of, which is why I believe it to be possible. The question is as given with no further details or information.

So analyze the near-field pattern of an antenna, and show the longitudinal component of the B-field and how it decays with distance from the antenna...?

I haven't really thought about that to be honest, since the section of work is with regards to plasma and magnetized plasma.

Well, depending on the frequencies used to heat the plasma, and the methods used to couple that energy to the plasma, is any of the EM in the near field? If it's microwave radiation that is coupled in via waveguides, you are probably in the far field by the time the EM gets to the plasma...

There is no frequency given, so I'm "assuming" we can take any value and essentially work under any ideal conditions that would provide such waves. I have been googling for a while which is why I decided to post here. There are a few good ones, but they seem to refer mainly to electromagnetic waves propagating with no sure solution given. I have been reading this mainly

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/22170/why-no-longitudinal-electromagnetic-waves/22177

but again, I can't see how to prove it. Thanks for the assistance so far btw

Related to Are longitudinal magnetic waves possible?

What is a longitudinal magnetic wave?

A longitudinal magnetic wave is a type of electromagnetic wave that has both electric and magnetic components oscillating in the same direction as the wave propagates. This is in contrast to transverse waves, where the electric and magnetic components are perpendicular to the direction of propagation.

How are longitudinal magnetic waves different from transverse waves?

Longitudinal magnetic waves differ from transverse waves in their direction of oscillation. In transverse waves, the electric and magnetic components are perpendicular to the direction of propagation, while in longitudinal magnetic waves, they are in the same direction.

Are longitudinal magnetic waves possible?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that longitudinal magnetic waves exist. The fundamental equations of electromagnetism, Maxwell's equations, do not support the existence of such waves. However, some theories, such as the Kaluza-Klein theory, propose the existence of extra dimensions that could potentially allow for the existence of longitudinal magnetic waves.

What are the proposed applications of longitudinal magnetic waves?

If longitudinal magnetic waves were proven to exist, they could potentially have applications in wireless energy transfer and communication. They could also have implications for understanding the fundamental laws of electromagnetism and the structure of space-time.

What research is being done to investigate the possibility of longitudinal magnetic waves?

There is ongoing research in the field of theoretical physics to explore the existence of longitudinal magnetic waves and their potential implications. Some experiments have also been conducted to try and detect these waves, but so far, no conclusive evidence has been found.