Are Math Courses Derailing My Chemistry Major Dreams?

• Courses
  • Thread starter MarcZZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, the speaker is frustrated with their performance in their math courses and is now questioning if they are cut out for a Chemistry major. They are considering dropping the Calculus II class and focusing on retaking the math courses next semester or even dropping out of science altogether. They are also considering working in Fort McMurray and possibly not returning to science.
MarcZZ
Hello folks,

Welcome to my rant. If you do not feel like listening to me bemoan the my performance in my Linear Algebra I and Calculus II classes than now is the time for you to leave! Anyways here we go, I am in my first semester of second year, and I finally think I have decided to major in Chemistry. However, in order to get into my Chemistry major I need Linear Algebra I and up to Calculus III, (optionally take ODE if I want to do Advanced Quantum Chemistry). I did well in Calculus I (84%) (I had to take College Algebra due to a bad MPT in first semester) and took Linear Algebra I last semester, and did really bad on the first midterm (12%), but picked up the slack, got 60% on second and 57%ish on the final and passed that course with a pathetic 51% (D). Either way I'm now in my Calculus II class and got the first midterm result back and got a 30%... (39% class average, only one person scored above 75%) and am now royally ticked off, as I feel I'm going to have a repeat of my previous Linear Algebra course. Is this a sign I'm not cut out for Chemistry? The Physics II (E&M) class I'm taking I'm getting about 84-85% in this far and my Intro Chem III I'm making around the same... This is already going to cost me another semester of time as I will specifically have to focus on retaking those two math courses, and can get them replaced I do better, (the grades will still be on the transcript). But my problem is this, should I try to put in a huge amount of effort to save myself in Calc II and risk jeopardizing my other two courses, considering I'm pretty much totally lost in this course now anyways (75% my fault, 25% professor's...), should I drop the course (I don't want to do this as I won't get a refund), or what I'm thinking, should I just continue put in some effort try to learn the material I can, and fail it so I can just deal with it again next semester after I know the material (with Linear Algebra of course)? I also can drop out and go work out West in Fort McMurray with all my friends and make money and perhaps/perhaps not ever come back to science because perhaps I'm not ready, or just too stupid...

Physics news on Phys.org

FAQ: Are Math Courses Derailing My Chemistry Major Dreams?

1. Why do some people say that "Maths (Courses) are the Devil"?

The saying "Maths (Courses) are the Devil" is often used as a humorous or exaggerated way to express frustration or difficulty with the subject. It is not meant to be taken literally, but rather as a way to vent about the challenges of learning and understanding math.

2. Is math really that difficult?

While some people may find math to be difficult, it ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and level of interest in the subject. With proper instruction and practice, anyone can improve their math skills.

3. Are there any benefits to learning math?

Yes, there are many benefits to learning math. It can help improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as develop logical reasoning and analytical abilities. It also has practical applications in everyday life, such as managing finances and understanding statistics.

4. How can I improve my math skills?

Practice and patience are key to improving math skills. Find a learning style that works for you, whether it's visual, auditory, or hands-on. Seek out extra help or resources, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Consistent practice and determination will lead to improvement.

5. Does everyone need to be good at math?

No, not everyone needs to be a math expert. However, having a basic understanding of math can be useful in many aspects of life, and it is a required subject in most educational systems. It is important to at least have a foundation in math and the ability to problem-solve and think critically.