Are MBA Students More Likely to Cheat in Business School?

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary: People need to realize that it's not going to get them anywhere and it's just going to get them in trouble in the long run.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
MarketWatch - Careers
By Thomas Kostigen
Graduate business students take their cue from corporate scandals :rolleyes:

The corporate scandals that have plagued Wall Street in recent history are setting a fine example for young students looking to make their mark in the business world: They are learning to cheat with the best of them.

Students seeking their masters of business administration degree admit cheating more than any other type of student, from law to liberal arts.

"We have found that graduate students in general are cheating at an alarming rate and business-school students are cheating even more than others," concludes a study by the Academy of Management Learning and Education of 5,300 students in the U.S. and Canada.

Many of these students reportedly believe cheating is an accepted practice in business. More than half (56%) of M.B.A. candidates say they cheated in the past year. For the study, cheating was defined as plagiarizing, copying other students' work and bringing prohibited materials into exams.
Don't cheat. :rolleyes:

http://biz.yahoo.com/weekend/mbacheat_1.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Sigh...
What a wonderful world we live in eh?

haha, I was grading some tests for the teacher who's class I tutor for, and I noticed that two people had the same exact answers. Being curious, I asked the teacher if they sat next to each other, and indeed they do. Anyway, the kicker is that they both got somewhere around a 40%, I don't remember the exact number.

moose said:
haha, I was grading some tests for the teacher who's class I tutor for, and I noticed that two people had the same exact answers. Being curious, I asked the teacher if they sat next to each other, and indeed they do. Anyway, the kicker is that they both got somewhere around a 40%, I don't remember the exact number.
I always wonder why people cheat when they don't even cheat off someone who knows the answers. :smile: Did you give them each a 20% for their half of the work? :biggrin:

This does not surprise me a bit. Business majors are the more represented share in the human population. It contains the most average, stupid people. Second to that is political science majors.

Engineers are right behind them at 54% followed by Physical sciences at 50% so I think it is a little unfair to make generalizations. The only thing that can be said is that too many people are cheating.

The irony is that only the honest students would admit to cheating. :rolleyes: When they include copying another student's work without specifying how much, then I'd expect the real percentage to be much higher. I think it would be very rare to find a student who has NEVER copied even a single homework problem from a classmate when they got stuck and ran out of time to work it out or get proper help before turning it in.

Moonbear said:
The irony is that only the honest students would admit to cheating. :rolleyes: When they include copying another student's work without specifying how much, then I'd expect the real percentage to be much higher. I think it would be very rare to find a student who has NEVER copied even a single homework problem from a classmate when they got stuck and ran out of time to work it out or get proper help before turning it in.
That's what I was thinking about...

Related to Are MBA Students More Likely to Cheat in Business School?

1. What is an MBA?

An MBA, or Master of Business Administration, is a graduate-level degree that focuses on the study of business management and administration. It is typically pursued by individuals who are looking to advance their careers in the business world.

2. Why are MBA's considered the biggest cheaters?

MBA's are often seen as cheaters because of the perception that they prioritize their own success and advancement over ethical business practices. This can lead to unethical behavior, such as cheating on exams or engaging in fraudulent business practices.

3. Is cheating common among MBA students?

While it is difficult to determine how common cheating is among MBA students, there have been several high-profile cases of cheating in top MBA programs. Additionally, surveys have shown that a significant percentage of MBA students admit to engaging in some form of cheating during their studies.

4. How can cheating be prevented among MBA students?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution to preventing cheating among MBA students. However, some methods that have been suggested include promoting a culture of academic integrity, implementing strict policies and consequences for cheating, and providing support and resources for students who may feel pressure to cheat.

5. What skills and qualities should an MBA possess besides business knowledge?

In addition to business knowledge, MBA's should possess strong leadership skills, critical thinking abilities, and excellent communication and interpersonal skills. They should also have a strong ethical compass and a commitment to ethical business practices.

Back