Are My Faraday's Law Homework Solutions Correct?

In summary, the student attempted to solve the three homework problems, but was unsure of some of the results. They appear to have correctly calculated the average power delivered to the load resistor, and the direction of the induced current. However, they may have mixed up the direction of the currents when the magnet passed through the loop.
jegues

Homework Statement

See the figures attached for each of the individual problem statements.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll start by explaining my concerns for each problem,

P1) Did I plot the Iinduced waveform correctly? I'm having some trouble picturing what the waveform of the magnetic flux would be, it seems to me as the current would increase as the flux increases so it should follow from the current waveform somewhat, correct?

P2) Is my expression for Vemf(t) correct? Is the expression I wrote down for the average power delivered to the load resistor correct?

P3) Again, I'm not sure if I've done this problem correctly, can someone check my results?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• L1P1.JPG
    L1P1.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 425
  • L1P2.JPG
    L1P2.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 392
Physics news on Phys.org
The falling magnet means that the loop experiences a changing magnetic flux so an emf will be induced which will give rise to an induced current in the loop.
The induced emf (and current) will oppose the change producing it (Lenz's law) which means that as the N pole approaches the loop the current will be in a direction to create a N pole (that is a current direction opposite to the direction you have drawn)
As the N pole leaves the loop the induced emf and current will change direction to produce an S pole of the loop
As the S pole approaches the loop the induced current will again oppose the change which will produce a S pole again from the loop... same current direction.
As the S pole leaves the loop the induced emf and current will be in a direction to create a N pole from the loop.
I think the curve should be 2 'pulses' going +ve...-ve...-ve...+ve

technician said:
The falling magnet means that the loop experiences a changing magnetic flux so an emf will be induced which will give rise to an induced current in the loop.
The induced emf (and current) will oppose the change producing it (Lenz's law) which means that as the N pole approaches the loop the current will be in a direction to create a N pole (that is a current direction opposite to the direction you have drawn)
As the N pole leaves the loop the induced emf and current will change direction to produce an S pole of the loop
As the S pole approaches the loop the induced current will again oppose the change which will produce a S pole again from the loop... same current direction.
As the S pole leaves the loop the induced emf and current will be in a direction to create a N pole from the loop.
I think the curve should be 2 'pulses' going +ve...-ve...-ve...+ve

So basically I've mixed the direction of the currents up as the magnet passes through the loop?

Bump, still looking for verification on the other questions.

Hello, it's great to see you taking the time to think critically about your work and ask for feedback. Here are my thoughts on your concerns for each problem:

P1) The waveform of the induced current will follow the waveform of the magnetic flux, but it will be shifted by 90 degrees. This is because the induced current is perpendicular to the changing magnetic field. So, your current waveform looks correct, but it should be shifted by 90 degrees compared to the magnetic flux waveform.

P2) Your expression for Vemf(t) looks correct. As for the average power delivered to the load resistor, you have correctly calculated the peak value of the voltage across the resistor, but the average power should be calculated using the RMS value of the voltage. The RMS value is equal to the peak value divided by the square root of 2.

P3) Your results for this problem look correct. Just make sure to label your units for the resistance and inductance values.

Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. Science is all about collaboration and learning from each other's perspectives. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Are My Faraday's Law Homework Solutions Correct?

1. What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between a changing magnetic field and an induced electric field. It was first discovered by Michael Faraday in the 19th century.

2. How is Faraday's Law calculated?

Faraday's Law is calculated using the equation E = -N * (ΔΦ/Δt), where E is the induced electromotive force, N is the number of turns in the coil, and ΔΦ/Δt is the rate of change of magnetic flux through the coil.

3. What is the difference between Faraday's Law and Lenz's Law?

Faraday's Law and Lenz's Law are both principles that describe the relationship between a changing magnetic field and an induced electric field. However, Faraday's Law focuses on the magnitude of the induced electric field, while Lenz's Law focuses on the direction of the induced current.

4. How is Faraday's Law used in everyday life?

Faraday's Law is used in many everyday devices, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also the principle behind the functioning of many household appliances, such as refrigerators and hair dryers.

5. What are some real-world applications of Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law has numerous applications in various industries, including power generation, telecommunications, and transportation. It is also used in medical imaging technologies, such as MRI machines, and in renewable energy sources, such as solar panels and wind turbines.