Are Oblique Coordinate Systems More Useful Than Orthogonal Systems in 2-D Space?

In summary: You can make an arbitrary 2-D coordinate system more useful by specifying which two lines are the axes.
rkmurtyp
In a coordinate system two axes are inclined at an acute angle θ. Is this coordinate system different from a coordinate system in which the axes are inclined at an angle (180 - θ)? if we look at the four quardents in either of the above set of axes, both are included giving the impression that the two are same. Is that true?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if I understand you question but regarding rotational symmetry both systems are physically the same(disrigarding direccions on the axes)

facenian said:
I'm not sure if I understand you question but regarding rotational symmetry both systems are physically the same(disrigarding direccions on the axes)

Let me pose my question in a different way. Do two intersecting lines constitue a coordinate system?

1. If yes, does it have four quardents? or just one region in which coordinates of any point has positive numbers (for example (3.23,4)) only?

2. If no, then what constitutes a cordinate system?

rkmurtyp said:
Let me pose my question in a different way. Do two intersecting lines constitute a coordinate system?
Yes, they can serve as the axes of a coordinate system. There's a formal mathematical definition of "coordinate system" which is very general and allows for all sorts of weird configurations.

does it have four quardents? or just one region in which coordinates of any point has positive numbers (for example (3.23,4)) only?

Four regions.

Nugatory said:
Yes, they can serve as the axes of a coordinate system. There's a formal mathematical definition of "coordinate system" which is very general and allows for all sorts of weird configurations.

Four regions.

What advantage do we get in an arbitrary 2-D coordinate system that we don't get in a 2-D orthogonal coordinate system?

The beautiful symmetry we have in an ortogonal coordinate system is lost in a non orthogonal (for example an oblique) coordinate system. Hence my problem (question) above.

Oblique coordinates can be useful if there are two non-orthogonal lines upon which you are given special information. Another example is in solving a hyperbolic differential equation where it would simplify the equation to use the characteristic lines as axes. And they are not generally orthogonal.

Also, while one can always find coordinates on a general surface that are orthogonal at a specific point but not generally orthogonal anywhere else.

HallsofIvy said:
Oblique coordinates can be useful if there are two non-orthogonal lines upon which you are given special information. Another example is in solving a hyperbolic differential equation where it would simplify the equation to use the characteristic lines as axes. And they are not generally orthogonal.

Also, while one can always find coordinates on a general surface that are orthogonal at a specific point but not generally orthogonal anywhere else.

I am only interested in understanding analyses in 2-D space. So, please let me know, if I have two non orthogonal lines, what special information is required to make that coordinate system more useful in comparision to the orthogonal coordinate system?

Related to Are Oblique Coordinate Systems More Useful Than Orthogonal Systems in 2-D Space?

1. What is an oblique coordinate system?

An oblique coordinate system is a type of coordinate system that uses two intersecting axes to locate points on a plane or surface. Unlike standard coordinate systems, the axes in an oblique coordinate system are not perpendicular to each other.

2. How is an oblique coordinate system different from a standard coordinate system?

In a standard coordinate system, the axes are perpendicular to each other, creating a right angle at their intersection. In an oblique coordinate system, the axes are not perpendicular, which allows for more flexibility in representing curved or tilted surfaces.

3. What are some common applications of oblique coordinate systems?

Oblique coordinate systems are commonly used in cartography, navigation, and geology. They are also used in computer graphics to represent 3D surfaces with more accuracy.

4. How are points located in an oblique coordinate system?

In an oblique coordinate system, points are located by measuring the distance from the origin along each axis. The coordinates of a point are typically written as (x, y), with x representing the distance along the horizontal axis and y representing the distance along the vertical axis.

5. What are the advantages of using an oblique coordinate system?

Oblique coordinate systems allow for more accurate representation of curved or tilted surfaces, making them useful in many fields such as geography, architecture, and engineering. They also offer more flexibility in representing complex shapes and structures that cannot be easily represented in a standard coordinate system.

Back