Are resolvents for self-adjoint operators themselves self-adjoint?

• Thread starter AxiomOfChoice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, We know that for a self-adjoint operator T on a Hilbert space \mathscr H with domain D(T), the resolvent (T-\lambda I)^{-1} exists as a bounded operator from \mathscr H to D(T) for any \lambda \in \rho(T). However, it is uncertain whether or not (T-\lambda I)^{-1} is also self-adjoint. While there is reason to believe this is true for positive operators, there is no conclusive proof for general operators. The given proof for the case where \lambda \in \mathbb R is invalid for complex \lambda, and it is likely that the proposition is not true in this case.
AxiomOfChoice
Let [itex]T[/itex] be a (possibly unbounded) self-adjoint operator on a Hilbert space [itex]\mathscr H[/itex] with domain [itex]D(T)[/itex], and let [itex]\lambda \in \rho(T)[/itex]. Then we know that [itex](T-\lambda I)^{-1}[/itex] exists as a bounded operator from [itex]\mathscr H[/itex] to [itex]D(T)[/itex]. Question: do we also know that [itex](T-\lambda I)^{-1}[/itex] is self-adjoint? Can someone prove or give a counterexample?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note: I have reason to believe this is true in the case that [itex]T[/itex] is a positive operator (i.e., [itex](Tx,x) \geq 0[/itex] for all [itex]x\in D(T)[/itex]). Whether it is true in general...well, I'm not sure!

I believe I have a quick and easy proof of this proposition, provided the resolvent has the form [itex](T-\lambda I)^{-1}[/itex] for [itex]\lambda \in \mathbb R[/itex]. We have
[tex]
\langle (T-\lambda I)^{-1}x,y \rangle = \langle x, [(T-\lambda I)^{-1}]^* y \rangle = \langle x, (T^* - \overline \lambda I)^{-1} y \rangle = \langle x, (T-\lambda I)^{-1}y \rangle,
[/tex]
since [itex]\lambda = \overline \lambda[/itex] and [itex]T^* = T[/itex] by assumption. This also uses the fact that [itex](T^*)^{-1} = (T^{-1})^*[/itex] for [itex]T[/itex] bounded and invertible. Now, if [itex]\lambda[/itex] is complex, this argument is obviously bogus, and in fact I'm reasonably confident that it's just not true!

FAQ: Are resolvents for self-adjoint operators themselves self-adjoint?

1. What is a self-adjoint operator?

A self-adjoint operator is a linear operator on a Hilbert space that is equal to its own adjoint. This means that the operator and its adjoint have the same domain and that their inner products are equal for all vectors in that domain.

2. What is a resolvent for a self-adjoint operator?

A resolvent for a self-adjoint operator is a bounded linear operator that maps the Hilbert space onto itself and satisfies certain conditions, including being the inverse of the self-adjoint operator at certain points.

3. Why is it important for a resolvent to be self-adjoint?

It is important for a resolvent to be self-adjoint because it ensures that the operator is Hermitian, meaning that its eigenvalues are real and its eigenvectors are orthogonal. This has significant implications in the study of quantum mechanics and other areas of mathematics.

4. Are all resolvents for self-adjoint operators themselves self-adjoint?

No, not all resolvents for self-adjoint operators are themselves self-adjoint. This is because the resolvent depends on the specific operator and its properties, and not all operators have the same properties as self-adjoint operators.

5. What happens if a resolvent for a self-adjoint operator is not self-adjoint?

If a resolvent for a self-adjoint operator is not self-adjoint, it means that the operator does not have all of the properties of a self-adjoint operator. This can have implications in the study of the operator and its applications, and may require different methods and techniques to analyze and solve problems involving the operator.