Are rockers and rollers mobile support?

In summary, rollers and rockers are used in mobile support to allow for movement in one direction. They are both solid steel cylinders, but rockers are shaped differently.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Are "rockers" and "rollers" mobile support?

I'm reading about trusses and trying to understand this sentence:

When a bridge or roof trusses extend over large distances, a rocker or roller is commonly used for supporting one end

I presume they mean mobile support that only has 1 resistance direction. Am I correct?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Most bridges are supported on bearings, rockers and rollers are two types.

Rollers are exactly that. Solid steel cylinders as in the top sketch.
They can allow substantial horizontal movement of one end of the truss etc, whilst providing the vertical support reactions.

Rockers are used where less movement needs accomodating and are shaped as in the detail.

Now two questions for you to aid understanding.

Firstly why is one end fixed?

Secondly why do we need to allow a free or movement end?

Attachments

• rockNroll.jpg
    rockNroll.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 493

Ooh! Oh! I know that! For freedom for expansion or contraction :) Because temp' changes and the loads on it change...with freeom of expansion and contraction it takes more time to wear out because there's less contact at the hinges. I understand what rockers are now. Funny little things...like 1/4 of a circle rollers. Thanks for the sketch...did you make that?

I'm not sure what you mean by one end being fixed. Rollers and rockers are not fixators, they allow for some little basic movement.

2)Yes that's right it's to allow for thermal expansion/contraction.

If you read my post a little more carefully you would see I said on end is fixed and the other is allowed to move horizontally.
I have labelled my sketches as such as well.

So why is there a fixed end?

Because if one end wasn't fixed the truss could slide sideways, and there wouldn't be much of a structure if a member can slide away

Yes that's it. To stop it falling off.

go well.

Thanks Studiot...you're excellent :)

FAQ: Are rockers and rollers mobile support?

1. What is the difference between rockers and rollers in terms of mobile support?

Rockers and rollers are both types of mechanical supports used in mobile equipment. Rockers are stationary supports that allow for rotational movement, while rollers are mobile supports that allow for linear movement. Essentially, rockers support objects that rotate, while rollers support objects that move in a straight line.

2. How do rockers and rollers contribute to the mobility of equipment?

Rockers and rollers are crucial components in the design of mobile equipment. They provide stability and support while allowing for movement, making it easier for the equipment to navigate different terrains and environments. Without these supports, the equipment would not be able to move efficiently.

3. Are there any limitations to the use of rockers and rollers in mobile equipment?

While rockers and rollers are essential for the mobility of equipment, they do have limitations. Heavy loads and uneven terrain can cause excessive wear and tear on these supports, leading to decreased efficiency and potential breakdowns. Proper maintenance and careful consideration of load and terrain are necessary to ensure the longevity and effectiveness of rockers and rollers.

4. Can rockers and rollers be used in all types of mobile equipment?

Yes, rockers and rollers can be used in a variety of mobile equipment, including vehicles, machinery, and even furniture. They are versatile supports that can be customized to fit the specific needs of different types of equipment.

5. Are there any alternative mobile supports to rockers and rollers?

Yes, there are alternative mobile supports, such as ball bearings and wheels, that can also provide mobility to equipment. However, rockers and rollers are often preferred for their stability and ability to support heavy loads. The choice of support will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the equipment and its intended use.

Back