Are the Final Velocities of Two Blocks After an Elastic Collision Correct?

In summary, the conversation involves a request for help with a physics problem involving an elastic collision between a 5 kg block and a stationary 2 kg block. The final velocities of the two blocks are found using the equations V1f=(m1-m2)/(m1+m2) (V1i) and V2f= (2m1)/(m1+m2) (v1i). The final velocities are calculated to be 4.28 m/s for the first block and 14.29 m/s for the second block. A minor typing error is also mentioned.
phunphysics2
Greetings Fellow Physics lovers!

I was wondering if somebody could please check my work on this problem.

A 5 kg block traveling at 10 m/s collides into a stationary 2 kg block. Find the final velocities of the two blocks after the elastic collision.

V1f=(m1-m2)/(m1+m2) (V1i)

V2f= (2m1)/(m1+m2) (v1i)

V1f=(5-2)((5+2) (10) = 4.28 m/s

V2f=2(5)/(7) (10)= 14.29 m/s

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
phunphysics2 said:
Greetings Fellow Physics lovers!

I was wondering if somebody could please check my work on this problem.

A 5 kg block traveling at 10 m/s collides into a stationary 2 kg block. Find the final velocities of the two blocks after the elastic collision.

V1f=(m1-m2)/(m1+m2) (V1i)

V2f= (2m1)/(m1+m2) (v1i)

V1f=(5-2)((5+2) (10) = 4.28 m/s

V2f=2(5)/(7) (10)= 14.29 m/s

Thanks for your help!

It is correct, except the typing error of "(" instead of "/".

ehild

Related to Are the Final Velocities of Two Blocks After an Elastic Collision Correct?

1. What is the formula for calculating the final velocity of two blocks?

The formula for calculating the final velocity of two blocks is vf = (m1 * v1 + m2 * v2) / (m1 + m2), where vf is the final velocity, m1 and m2 are the masses of the blocks, and v1 and v2 are the initial velocities of the blocks.

2. Is the final velocity of two blocks always the same?

No, the final velocity of two blocks can vary depending on the masses and initial velocities of the blocks. However, the total momentum of the system will always be conserved.

3. What happens to the final velocity if one of the blocks has a much larger mass?

If one of the blocks has a much larger mass, it will have a greater influence on the final velocity. The final velocity will be closer to the initial velocity of the block with the larger mass.

4. Can the final velocity of two blocks be negative?

Yes, the final velocity of two blocks can be negative if one of the blocks has a negative initial velocity or if the blocks collide and move in opposite directions.

5. How does the angle of collision affect the final velocity of two blocks?

The angle of collision can affect the final velocity of two blocks by changing the direction of the final velocity. If the blocks collide head on, the final velocity will be in the same direction as the initial velocity of the block with the larger mass. If the collision is not head on, the final velocity will have a different direction and magnitude.