Are the Leonids putting on a show in 2009?

• Thread starter chroot
  • Start date
In summary, the Leonid meteor shower is expected to peak on November 17, but it is not as spectacular as in previous years. This year, there are a few star parties in the area, which is surprising.
chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Does anyone know the scoop on the supposed Leonid meteor storm this year? Is anyone planning on watching it? What I've read is that it will peak on November 17, but I've heard of very few star parties and such in my local area, which surprises me.

- Warren

Astronomy news on Phys.org
in which area does this leonids takes place and why they take place in the month of november everyyear

anvesh111 said:
in which area does this leonids takes place...
Meteor showers are named for the constellation they appear to emanate from - in this case, the constellation Leo.
...and why they take place in the month of november everyyear
Meteor showers come from the debris comets left when they crossed Earth's orbit and the debris field stays in roughly the same place in the Earth's orbit.

I watched the sky on November 18, 2am Eastern under less-than-ideal conditions for 30 minutes. Didn't see any meteors. Did anybody see unusual activity?

ideasrule said:
I watched the sky on November 18, 2am Eastern under less-than-ideal conditions for 30 minutes. Didn't see any meteors. Did anybody see unusual activity?

Well, you watched it about 9 hours after the peak (which was not as spectacular as expected anyway). The ZHR at that time could be well bellow 40 so it is not that strange. I didn't see anything either (observed at 22 UT - about peak-time but the radiant was quite low and the weather was crappy with occasional hydrometeorites).

http://www.arm.ac.uk/~gba/imo/leonids2009/

Last edited by a moderator:
My girl and I spent about an hour watching, and we each saw a handful of very bright meteors -- two that stretched across most of the sky. We weren't disappointed!

- Warren

When walking my dog, I saw a very bright meteor traveling N-S two nights before peak, and last night around 8pm or so I saw another following the same general track. It seems that the debris-field has gotten stretched a bit so there are fore-runners and stragglers days before and after the projected peak.

Related to Are the Leonids putting on a show in 2009?

1. When will the Leonids meteor shower occur in 2009?

The Leonids meteor shower is predicted to peak on the night of November 17-18, 2009.

2. How many meteors can be seen during the Leonids in 2009?

The Leonids meteor shower is known for producing a high number of meteors, with an average of 10-15 per hour. However, in some years, there can be an outburst with hundreds or even thousands of meteors per hour.

3. What causes the Leonids meteor shower?

The Leonids meteor shower is caused by the Earth passing through the debris left behind by the comet Tempel-Tuttle. These debris particles enter Earth's atmosphere and burn up, creating the streaks of light we see as meteors.

4. What is the best way to view the Leonids in 2009?

The best way to view the Leonids is to find a dark, open area away from city lights. Lie down and let your eyes adjust to the darkness for about 20 minutes. Look towards the constellation Leo, where the meteors will appear to radiate from.

5. Will the weather affect visibility of the Leonids in 2009?

Yes, the weather can greatly impact visibility of the meteor shower. Cloudy or overcast skies will make it difficult to see the meteors. It is important to check the weather forecast before planning to view the Leonids.

Back