Are the S' Axes Nonorthogonal in a Spacetime Diagram?

In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem that involved trigonometry and found a solution.
Broseidon

Homework Statement

Show that the S' axes, x' and ct', are nonorthogonal in a spacetime diagram. Assume that t = t' = 0 when x = x' = 0. (Hint: use the fact that the ct' axis is the world line of the origin of S' to show that the ct' axis is inclined with respect to the ct' axis. Next, note that the world line of a light pulse moving in the +x direction starting out at x = 0 and ct = 0 is described by the equation x = +ct in S and x' = ct' in S').

Homework Equations

-The Lorentz transformations
-Relativistic velocity transformation

The Attempt at a Solution

I know it isn't much (and maybe foolish), but I felt like I didn't have much to go on about, so I tried trigonometry and somehow obtain an expression for sin not equal to one (or cosine not equal to zero).

All help is appreciated, and thank you in advance! (:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Bro and welcome to PF. Suppose I don't know what S and S' stand for ?
Also: check the phrase "ct' axis is inclined with respect to the ct' axis".

You may suppose someone wanting to help you is familiar with the Lorentz transformations. My first impression is that you don't need velocity transformation formulas.

The problem asks you to show something in a diagram. So your attempt at a solution should be a diagram or a (fairly detailed, you know: 1 pic = 1k words...) description of a diagram.

There is no reason to feel like you don't have much to go on: this is asking for something you are supposed to have learned in the material preceding the exercise...

I'm turning in, but there are others to help you as well. Help them a little, please!

Dear BvU,
I am fortunate enough to have solved it. I thank you for being willing to help. (: The professor solved it in class and it indeed involves some trigonometry.

do you have the solution. i need it pleaase:)

FAQ: Are the S' Axes Nonorthogonal in a Spacetime Diagram?

1. What are the axes in a spacetime diagram?

The axes in a spacetime diagram represent the dimensions of space and time. Typically, the horizontal axis represents space, with units such as meters or kilometers, and the vertical axis represents time, with units such as seconds or years.

2. How are axes labeled in a spacetime diagram?

The axes in a spacetime diagram are usually labeled with the appropriate units, such as meters for the space axis and seconds for the time axis. In addition, the axes may also be labeled with numerical values or tick marks to indicate specific points along each axis.

3. What is the purpose of axes in a spacetime diagram?

The axes in a spacetime diagram serve to visually represent the relationship between space and time. By plotting events or objects on the diagram, we can see how they move through space and time, and how they are related to each other.

4. How is motion represented on a spacetime diagram?

Motion is typically represented on a spacetime diagram by a line or curve. The slope of this line or curve represents the speed of the object, and its direction represents the direction of motion. The steeper the line, the faster the object is moving.

5. Can axes in a spacetime diagram be rotated?

Yes, axes in a spacetime diagram can be rotated, but the relationship between space and time remains the same. This means that the slope and direction of motion will still be accurately represented, but the axes may appear differently in relation to the objects or events plotted on the diagram.