Are There Affordable Alternatives for Crimping Wire Connectors?

• Thread starter wxrocks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wire
In summary: Crimping is the way to go. It's a one time expense that will last for a long time and will ensure good connections.
wxrocks
Hello -- I am once again looking to those with vast resource knowledge for some advice.

At work, I have been left with a "Data aquisition cart" of sorts. Basically it is a way to contain the various power sources, etc. needed to run various instruments and gather the data to the laptop.

My concern is these Amphenol circular connectors that were used to set them up. Because they were soldered with a large tip -- the soldering job is not good -- and some cables do not have strain relief, which is causing problems.

I looked into new connectors -- and they want $40-$50 for these connectors! No way! I am looking at switching to Mini-DINs since I can get instruments from Omega with Mini-DINs on the end of them all ready to go.

My question is -- I have been looking at DigiKey and the crimp style connectors still say I need a $130+ crimper to crimp the pins! Is there a cheaper alternative? I have basic knowledge of wiring, but not a lot of experience with these different connectors and pins.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The crimping tool is the way to go. It's a one time expense that will last for a long time and will ensure good connections. Nothing is more aggrivating that trying to track down an intermittent connection on a data system. Well, maybe ground loops are more frustrating, but you get the picture.

I agree with Fred. Having the correct crimping tool makes a big difference in the quality of the final connections, especially if you are making a lot of them.

Is there a resource that has specs on these connectors? Do you know if they come in screw-type (like what Omega puts on their pressure transducers)? Space is not an issue -- I just want to be able to hook something up quick and have it be reliable.

Crimping might seem like a crude technology for making connections, but if it is done with the proper materials and tools it is very reliable. The components are actually welded together by the force applied with the proper tool - that's why a pair of pliers doesn't work very well.

Think about the economics of this. How much does it cost while somebody is messing around trying to find a faulty connection? Not just the cost of their time, but the knock on cost of not getting the test done, etc. That could be anything from $100 to $100,000 dollars an hour or more, depending what you are testing. Compare that with the cost of the right tools for the job.

Related to Are There Affordable Alternatives for Crimping Wire Connectors?

1. How do I know which wire connector to use for my project?

The type of wire connector you should use depends on the gauge and type of wire you are working with, as well as the specific application. It is important to carefully read the packaging and instructions for each wire connector to ensure that it is suitable for your project.

2. Can I reuse wire connectors?

It is generally not recommended to reuse wire connectors, as they may become damaged or loose over time. It is best to use a new wire connector each time you make a connection.

3. How do I properly crimp a wire connector?

To properly crimp a wire connector, first strip the insulation from the end of the wire. Then, insert the stripped wire into the connector and use a crimping tool to compress the connector onto the wire. Make sure the crimp is secure and the wire is not loose.

4. Can I use different types of wire connectors in the same project?

It is generally not recommended to mix different types of wire connectors in the same project, as they may not be compatible and could lead to faulty connections. It is best to stick to one type of wire connector for consistency and reliability.

5. What is the difference between a male and female wire connector?

A male wire connector has a solid pin that inserts into a female connector, which has a hollow sleeve. This creates a secure connection between two wires. Male and female connectors are often color-coded for easy identification and matching.

Back