Are there any blacksmiths here who share my passion for the craft?

• Thread starter houlahound
  • Start date
In summary, I am looking at getting into it as a hobby and have been for some time. Anyone else here play at it.I remember a recent forum search on blacksmith earlier today did not turn up anything useful. But just now I got 3 hits. One was a safety video and the other two were how-to videos. The first video talked about how to make a backyard mini foundry and the second one talked about how to make hinges and latches for gates. I think that blacksmithing might not be for me because of the safety concerns and the difficulty of making things that are durable.
houlahound
I am looking at getting into it as a hobby and have been for some time. Anyone else here play at it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not a blacksmith myself, but I just recently watched an interesting YouTube video about making a backyard, mini foundry.

houlahound said:
I am looking at getting into it as a hobby and have been for some time. Anyone else here play at it.
I remember a recent https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/middle-aged-student-of-all-sciences-and-trades.883875/.

collinsmark said:
I'm not a blacksmith myself, but I just recently watched an interesting YouTube video about making a backyard, mini foundry.

Somehow I find it unlikely it will work - perhaps for a moment, but I doubt it is going to survive for long. Plaster of paris is a calcium sulfate hydrate, which is roasted to get rid of water. If memory serves me well it becomes powdery in the process. I don't see how it is going to survive high temperatures present in the furnace.

Plus, it requires long drying before it can be used. Otherwise plaster will explosively shatter sending pieces in all directions when the water present in the solid (not the hydration water, excess moisture) starts to boil. Been there, done that, trying to pour molten lead into a plaster form to make a copy of some soldier figurine. Didn't work. I wanted to try again, just to wait for few weeks till the form dries, but my Mom asked me not to. No idea why, after all I got just a few blisters.

Thanks all.

Probably not into melting metal unless I wanted to experiment with inventing exotic alloys. More interested in heating metal and beating the crap out of it.

I like HEMA so prolly make HEMA stuff.

HEMA == Society or creative anachronism in the US I think.

Random example -- AnnealingAnyway - there are loads of examples on the basics of smithing:
Building a basic shop with fire pit, tools, DIY anvil, bench, and quench. You should make some of your own tools BTW. i.e., tongs
Safety - like eye protection! I once broke off a metal chip and it is still lodged in my forehead. Be warned.
Fuel types and fire control
Annealing, Hardening, tempering, punching, bending, forming
Learn to select and purchase appropriate metal stock

I made hinges and latches for gates -- for about 20 years . I started to compliment to the wooden gates I made. It was fun once I got the basics. You have youtube which should get you going faster than I was able to do. I got help from another experienced smith. Find one locally if you can.

Start with a light hammer, less than 1kg. Otherwise you won't be able to move your arm the next day. When you can "hold iron" with a smaller hammer work up.

"Hold iron" is a really old term, means strike a hot work piece on the anvil with no rebound. One distinct sound, not a blap-blip. You'll see what I mean when you are learning.

Likes houlahound
My friend Harry and i built a little propane fired smelting furnace
we cut an empty Freon tank in half and filled it with refractory cement leaving a 4 inch vertical hole down center for the crucible
and a 1 inch horizontal tangential hole at the bottom for firing.
It will melt a pound of brass shavings in just minutes.
Try a search on amateur forge

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/how-to/a4087/how-to-make-a-forge/

Likes houlahound
Great info thank you all much.

No HEMA as in Historical European Martial Arts.

The serious and credible academic study of how ancient white people fight.

Here is a decent hema channel;

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff
houlahound said:
HEMA as in Historical European Martial Arts.
How cool. I had no idea about this. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_European_martial_arts

Since 1991, there have emerged flourishing Historical European Martial Arts communities in Europe, North America, Australia and the wider Anglosphere. These groups are engaged in attempting to reconstruct Historical European Martial Arts using various training methods. Although the focus generally is on the martial arts of Medieval and Renaissance masters, nineteenth and early twentieth century martial arts teachers are also studied and their systems are reconstructed, including Edward William Barton-Wright, the founder of Bartitsu;[7] combat savate and stick fighting master Pierre Vigny; London-based boxer and fencer Rowland George Allanson-Winn; French journalist and self-defence enthusiast Jean Joseph-Renaud; and British quarterstaff expert Thomas McCarthy.

I know right, most people of European descent think martial arts is ninjas and samurai swords or they just like to dress up as princesses.

Most have no idea of the pre-gunpowder arms race that evolved at hectic speed laying the ground work for what became physics and chemistry plus a lot of other fields.

250px-Fechtende_adelige_Studenten_um_1590.jpg

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff

Related to Are there any blacksmiths here who share my passion for the craft?

1. What is the purpose of asking if there are any blacksmiths who share my passion for the craft?

The purpose of asking this question is to find other individuals who are interested in blacksmithing and potentially form a community or group to share knowledge, techniques, and ideas.

2. How can I find other blacksmiths who share my passion for the craft?

One way to find other blacksmiths is to join local blacksmithing clubs or organizations, attend blacksmithing workshops or classes, or participate in online forums or groups dedicated to blacksmithing.

3. Why is it important to connect with other blacksmiths who share my passion for the craft?

Connecting with other blacksmiths allows for the exchange of knowledge and techniques, as well as the opportunity to network and collaborate on projects. It can also provide a sense of community and support for those who are passionate about the craft.

4. Are there any specific qualities or characteristics to look for in other blacksmiths who share my passion for the craft?

There is no specific set of qualities or characteristics to look for in other blacksmiths, as everyone has their own unique skills and interests within the craft. However, it can be beneficial to find individuals who are open-minded, willing to share their knowledge, and have a similar level of dedication and passion for blacksmithing.

5. Should I only connect with blacksmiths who share my exact interests and techniques?

No, it is not necessary to only connect with blacksmiths who share your exact interests and techniques. In fact, connecting with individuals who have different perspectives and techniques can lead to valuable learning experiences and help expand your skills as a blacksmith.