Are there any easy-to-understand books to supplement my electromagnetics course?

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding additional resources for an electromagnetics course. The person mentioned that their current textbook, "Field and Wave Electromagnetics, 2e" by David K. Cheng, was full of equations and they were looking for a more accessible explanation, similar to "for dummies" books. Some suggestions were given, including "Electricity and Magnetism" by Edward Purcell, which offers a physical introduction to the topic.
ASIC
Hello everyone, I'm currently enrolled in an electromagnetics course and find the text... decent. I was wondering if anyone knew of any easy-to-read type books I can use to supplement for my course. The book I use is full of equations and stuff, which is fine; I'm just looking for more of a explanation (Kinda like the ...for dummies) books. Thanks.

The book I use now is "Field and Wave Electromagnetics, 2e, David K. Cheng."

Engineering news on Phys.org
Cool handle, ASIC. Welcome to the PF. My E&M books are at work and I'm at home, but I'll try to reply tomorrow with my most-used books. One is Hayt and one is Plonus, I think, but I'll need to check.

Thanks guys :-D

Electricity and Magnetism, in the Berkeley Physics Series, is a very readable and physical intro book from Nobel prize winner Edward Purcell. One of its strengths is to show how magnetism is the relativistic manifestation of the Coulomb electric force. Only drawback from engineering standpoint is use of Gaussian units, which however put E and B on equal (relativistic) footing. There are lots of inexpensive used copies floating around.

Ill keep an eye out for a cheapy copy, thanks.

FAQ: Are there any easy-to-understand books to supplement my electromagnetics course?

What is "Electromagnetics Supplement"?

"Electromagnetics Supplement" refers to a set of additional materials, resources, or information that can be used to enhance one's understanding of electromagnetics. This may include extra practice problems, simulations, videos, or textbooks.

Why is "Electromagnetics Supplement" important?

"Electromagnetics Supplement" allows individuals to deepen their understanding of electromagnetics by providing additional resources that may not be available in their primary learning materials. It can also help individuals who are struggling with certain concepts or want to explore the topic in more depth.

How can "Electromagnetics Supplement" be used?

"Electromagnetics Supplement" can be used in a variety of ways, depending on the specific materials included. Some examples include using additional practice problems to reinforce learning, watching videos to visually understand concepts, or using simulations to see how electromagnetics works in real-world scenarios.

Where can "Electromagnetics Supplement" be found?

"Electromagnetics Supplement" can be found in a variety of places, including online resources, textbooks, or supplementary materials provided by instructors. Some resources may be free and easily accessible, while others may require a fee or subscription.

Is "Electromagnetics Supplement" necessary for learning electromagnetics?

No, "Electromagnetics Supplement" is not necessary for learning electromagnetics. However, it can be a helpful tool for individuals who want to deepen their understanding or improve their skills in the subject. It is ultimately up to the individual to decide if they want to use supplemental materials in their learning process.

Back