Are there any free online courses for abstract algebra and real analysis?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for free online courses in mathematics, particularly in abstract algebra and real analysis. The website coursera.org is mentioned, but it does not offer pure math classes. A new website, empire2.esc.edu, is suggested and potentially offers the desired courses. However, it is unclear if the courses are free or require payment for credit. Other free options, such as Khan's Academy and online courseware from top universities, are also mentioned. The conversation ends with links to specific courses in abstract algebra and real analysis from Harvard and MIT, respectively.
sabq
Does anybody know of online courses in mathematics. In particular I am looking for abstract algebra and real analysis or other proof based courses. I am aware of the various videos available, but I am looking for those courses in which one registers and attends online with assignments and exams. Oh! they must be free! I can't afford to pay.

I found the site coursera.org but no pure math classes there.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks jedishrfu, it looks like a great site with exactly what I need. I couldn't see anywhere where it says free. Is it for free?

sabq said:
Thanks jedishrfu, it looks like a great site with exactly what I need. I couldn't see anywhere where it says free. Is it for free?

If you're getting credit for it or someone is actually reviewing your homework and tests then I think its not free.

For free check out Khan's Academy (not geared for college) and the MIT, Harvard and Stanford courseware sites for free online courses (of course you can't get credit for them).

As an example:

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/open-learning-initiative/abstract-algebra

and

http://www.core.org.cn/OcwWeb/Mathematics/18-100CSpring-2006/CourseHome/index.htm

Last edited:

Yes, there are several free online courses available for abstract algebra and real analysis. One option is the OpenCourseWare platform, which offers free courses from top universities such as MIT, Harvard, and Stanford. These courses are self-paced and do not offer assignments or exams, but they do provide high-quality lecture videos, course notes, and problem sets for practice. Another option is edX, which also offers free courses from prestigious universities like MIT and Caltech. These courses are more structured and offer assignments and exams, but they may require a small fee for a verified certificate. Additionally, websites such as Khan Academy and Brilliant offer free resources for learning abstract algebra and real analysis, including video lectures, practice problems, and quizzes.

Related to Are there any free online courses for abstract algebra and real analysis?

What are online mathematics courses?

Online mathematics courses are courses that are taught through the internet, allowing students to access lectures, assignments, and other materials remotely. They are designed to provide an interactive learning experience that is similar to traditional in-person courses.

How do online mathematics courses work?

Online mathematics courses typically use a learning management system (LMS) where students can access course materials, participate in discussions, and complete assignments. These courses may also include virtual lectures, interactive simulations, and online quizzes or exams to assess understanding.

What are the benefits of taking online mathematics courses?

Some of the benefits of online mathematics courses include flexibility, as students can access materials and complete assignments at their own pace, and convenience, as they can be taken from anywhere with an internet connection. They also provide a platform for students to interact with peers from different backgrounds and locations.

Are online mathematics courses as effective as traditional in-person courses?

Studies have shown that online mathematics courses can be just as effective as traditional in-person courses when designed and implemented properly. However, success in these courses may also depend on the student's learning style and motivation.

What types of mathematics courses are available online?

There is a wide variety of mathematics courses available online, ranging from basic arithmetic and algebra to advanced topics such as calculus, statistics, and linear algebra. Some universities also offer online degrees in mathematics, allowing students to complete a full degree program remotely.