Are there gas bulbs with high off resistance at low breakdown voltages?

• Thread starter PaulL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, Paul Lowrance is seeking recommendations for gas bulbs with breakdown voltages less than 150 volts and high off resistance of at least 20 Gohm. Bob S suggests using neon-filled miniature lamps with pigtail leads, while Paul Lowrance mentions using ultra clean NE-2 bulbs with pigtail leads for his research on excess energy detection. However, Bob S reminds Paul Lowrance to follow the PF Rules when posting and not to re-open a closed topic.
PaulL
Hi,

Any recommendations on gas bulbs with breakdown voltages less than 150 volts. Most importantly it must have high off resistance, at least 20 Gohm.

I've tested a few fluorescent starters. The best one so far was an old starter with 6 Gohm resistance up to its breakdown voltage of 107 volts. These starter bulbs usually have neon gas. Maybe there are bulbs with different gas that has higher off resistance at comparable breakdown voltages?

Thanks for any help. It's greatly appreciated!
Paul Lowrance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

It was my mistake. It should be 20 *tera* ohms minimum, not 20 mega ohms. Maybe another type of gas might have that much resistance?

Regards,
Paul

I knew of someone who used ultra clean NE-2 bulbs with pigtail leads in a negative resistance oscillator circuit to measure picoamp currents by putting a very small capacitor (50 pF?) in parallel and counting the time between avalanche pulses, but the last time I saw him he was unable to get NE-2's that had sufficiently low leakage. Get some and maybe you can make them work. See IPDIC chamber circuit here:

http://www.orau.org/PTP/collection/surveymeters/ipdic.htm

Bob S.

Last edited:
BTW, this topic is regarding my research. Please see the thread titled, "Excess energy detected from piezos & diodes"

A few minutes ago I just changed my account settings to give people access to my email address.

Regards,
Paul Lowrance

PaulL said:
BTW, this topic is regarding my research. Please see the thread titled, "Excess energy detected from piezos & diodes"

A few minutes ago I just changed my account settings to give people access to my email address.

Regards,
Paul Lowrance

That thread was closed and deleted because it did not meet the PF Rules. Do not try to re-open a closed topic. You need to post within the PF Rules, or you will not be allowed to post here.

Related to Are there gas bulbs with high off resistance at low breakdown voltages?

1. What is the "gas bulbs - avalanche effect"?

The "gas bulbs - avalanche effect" refers to a phenomenon in which a gas-filled bulb experiences a sudden and rapid increase in current and voltage when a certain threshold is reached. This effect is caused by the ionization of the gas molecules in the bulb, which creates an avalanche of electrons and leads to a surge in electrical activity.

2. How does the "gas bulbs - avalanche effect" occur?

The "gas bulbs - avalanche effect" occurs when the electric field inside the gas-filled bulb reaches a critical value. This causes the gas molecules to become ionized, creating a chain reaction known as an avalanche. As more and more electrons are released, the current and voltage in the bulb rapidly increase, resulting in a bright flash of light.

3. What gases are commonly used in gas bulbs to produce the "avalanche effect"?

The most commonly used gases in gas bulbs to produce the "avalanche effect" are neon, argon, and xenon. These gases have low ionization potentials and can easily be ionized by a small electric field, making them ideal for creating the "avalanche effect".

4. What are some practical applications of the "gas bulbs - avalanche effect"?

The "gas bulbs - avalanche effect" has several practical applications, including in gas discharge tubes for lighting and display purposes, such as neon signs and plasma televisions. It is also used in gas discharge surge arresters for protecting electrical equipment from high voltage surges.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to the "gas bulbs - avalanche effect"?

Yes, there are safety concerns related to the "gas bulbs - avalanche effect". The rapid increase in current and voltage can cause the bulb to explode, posing a potential danger to anyone nearby. Additionally, the gas used in these bulbs can be toxic, so proper precautions should be taken when handling them.